luka

I want to posit ideas as actors and agents in their own right but agents who are often co-opted by larger interests and made to serve and are corrupted in the process

But I also want to say ideas can co-opt individuals and make those individuals serve them and propagate them

craner

Beast of Burden
But actors and agents create, sustain and adopt ideas.

Ideas as actors and agents in their own right is close to the use of the term 'structural, isn't it?

An impersonal social arrangement that sustains an unconscious worldview that implicates individuals whether they know it or not.

luka

You are reducing all basic human actions to acquisition and conquest, and then asking me to prove or disprove that ideas are only adopted by the people in control to disguise this?

I want to find out how Craner thinks it happens. The thing that worries me about your position is that you seem to wave away any notion of power and vested interests.

luka

But actors and agents create, sustain and adopt ideas.

Ideas as actors and agents in their own right is close to the use of the term 'structural, isn't it?

An impersonal social arrangement that sustains an unconscious worldview that implicates individuals whether they know it or not.

I'm not against a structural understanding of how it happens, if that's where we end up. I find it a seductive notion.

craner

Beast of Burden
I want to find out how Craner thinks it happens. The thing that worries me about your position is that you seem to wave away any notion of power and vested interests.

No, I say that they are multiple and contradictory, as are the results.

version

Maybe you should look at examples specific to yourself and extrapolate from there? Think of how you first encountered an idea then try to chart how you've interacted with it throughout your life.

Banning myself from this thread for the next six hours. When I come back somebody better have worked out how it happens

craner

Beast of Burden
Maybe you should look at examples specific to yourself and extrapolate from there? Think of how you first encountered an idea then try to chart how you've interacted with it throughout your life.

It happened by encountering different ideas to the ones I originally imbibed.

craner

Beast of Burden
Maybe the difference between us is that I think there is more chaos than control in the world.