sus

What do you think of all the stuff about voices getting in peoples heads? I think it's a great metaphor for the way we introject friends, family, mentors as "people" inside us.

You absolutely must read the Jacob Clifton recap of "Die Me, Dichotomy." Starts here titled Agnus Dei.

sus

The cold storage vault is so, so big. Echoey and full of corpses. Remember when you didn't even know what stem cells were? John's got his hands cuffed, in front, and his legs are manacled. "How many bodies did he say were in here?" asks John, and Aeryn -- surprising him with her tone, which is only slightly lower in temperature than the ambient -- says, "I believe he said 'frelling millions'."
Dragging chains toward her, he asks what he's done wrong, "other than caving in the side of your head," and she wows at him. "Do you not remember?" That's not the question: the question he's asking is, how can she afford to remember it? The most painful part of that scene was that it made her look stupid. Declaring love and hope while Harvey watched, and smiled, at her expense. Declaring love like a stupid girl, kissing the devil, while Harvey watched and thought her weak. Not even Chiana could shame herself so badly. Watching her get fooled; watching the gift of vulnerability -- the only gift she could give that means anything, her absolute trust, so much further down, and further in, every time like the first, so much further away from where she started, so much more, and so effortlessly -- made a mockery and a joke and a perversion; that's the worst part.
[...]
All her options are depleted; she's in free-fall. Gravity around her like a fist, like a singularity. She punches out, locked in her pilot's chair, launching high. No options, no guns, nothing solid beneath her. No John. All alone in the sky. This isn't just about John: this is every nightmare coming true at once. At the very point she gave in, he disappeared, and she couldn't hold him tight enough.

sus

You're waiting for Incubator. S3E11.
Incubator is also where the endgame of the story arc kicks in. You'll first see it in the botanical life. Don't miss the birds of paradise. They'll become everything, later down the line.

And it's where the first hints of possibility for Scorpius & John's possible alliance kicks in. That's one thing that sets Farscape apart, I think. They way being enemies or allies is provisional. Has more to do with your immediate goals than whether you're "good" or "evil." Change your perception of the game state, change your perception of your goals; change your goals, change your enemies.

sus

Also like how they do mini arcs within the larger season, with film-depth plots.
The end-of-season trilogies are always a little gun-heavy, big Oceans 11-style infiltrations of massive ships and military bases. Nice to have some levity after a buncha character development though. Which is the soul of Farscape, its character development.

The mid-season two- and three-parters are my favorite though. What did you think of "Look At The Princess"? I love all the metaphors for indecision, vulnerability, unable to move forward, stuck in the same place. The weird scifi version of "playing the field" that John and Aeryn both do—her rock-climbing date, when he can't hang (literally), when he plummets to the ground in free-fall just like Aeryn does in "Die Me Dichotomy." Him falling for her. Her falling for John.

original_5f0d7dffc9cfe82ed2d113f510d062e5.png

original_6c5e49aa294907256075d94f23c9b189.png

sus

The trick about Farscape is it's never meant literally.

I think this is true of some fantasy and sci-fi but far from all of it.

It's more a magical realist thing.

The logic is always emotional, metaphorical. "Plot holes" and "scientific incongruities" are a trap for the literal-minded. This world exists as allegory for Earth.

sus

And it's where the first hints of possibility for Scorpius & John's possible alliance kicks in. That's one thing that sets Farscape apart, I think. They way being enemies or allies is provisional. Has more to do with your immediate goals than whether you're "good" or "evil." Change your perception of the game state, change your perception of your goals; change your goals, change your enemies.
Like Crais, what a wonderful villain. He starts the show a madman, crazed, bloodlusting. Or that's what we think, anyway. Where he ends up, well—I won't give spoilers, but you're well along his journey.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah I liked the Look at the Princess story arc, thought it did well at incorporating all the characters into this larger political conspiracy.

sus

The other ones I love from S2 are The Locket (alternate reality, stuck on the planet), My Three Crichtons (caveman + Spock Crichton), and The Way We Weren't (flashbacks to PK Aeryn on Moya).

The way that an entire lifetime shared between J&A becomes just a fleeting feeling, like something happened between them. And that's the whole show, ain't it. Something real happens between them, and then they pretend it didn't. But you can never really go back. Experience leaves traces.

Speaking of My Three Crichtons, we get a lot of doubling, splintering, mirroring in this show. Harvey in John, Harvey-as-John, e.g. And it only picks up in S3/4. I think the writers are really interested in the Ship of Theseus thing—the way that sense of identity is an illusion of continuation projected over something that's perpetually changing. Aeryn letting go of her past, "becoming more." John changing in response to his new environment. And jeez, will we see how serious that change has been by contrast, in later time-traveling eps.

sus

Well, I've gone on long enough, but I hope you enjoy the Clifton, and I'm glad you're liking the show!

luka

we saw them trying to close about 10 and took the hint. really strange atmosphere in town. i did ok-ish. i made £70 in 2 hours.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

luka

there was supposed to be 4 of us but one dropped out and my mate banned the other one from coming on the grounds that he had a sore throat and couldnt taste anything