Leo

I mean, trump does hold the nuclear codes for another two weeks. that's a bit risky.

IdleRich

IdleRich
JUST IN: “This is not news we deliver lightly,” @margbrennan says as she reports: Trump Cabinet secretaries are discussing invoking the 25th Amendment to remove President Trump. Nothing formal yet presented to VP Pence. “I’m talking about actual members of the Cabinet,” she says

martin

----
Do you really think he'll try to nuke China on the way out? Or would the impeachment just be a way of sullying his name for the history books?

Have insomnia again. Every time I close my eyes, I see the viking in the Senate.

john eden

male pale and stale
Blaming it on Antifa will work for hardcore Republicans and Trumpists but it’s clear that a bunch of the insurgents had white supremacists tattoos and links with far right stuff. So I doubt that will have wider resonance.

what happens next? I guess Trump will have the option of pardoning these people on his last day. If he does then that will be the green light to ongoing fashy nastiness for many years to come.

If not, these people are armed and still too invested in this worldview to go anywhere else. Followers looking for a leader. Lone wolves. The armed wing of the divorced Dads.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can't believe all the funs over. Still it was the best nights entertainment we've had in a long while wasn't it
I sort of want to take a Dan-like position and disapprove here, but at the same time, I can't help but agree.

john eden

male pale and stale
Trumpists can spin this as the liberal media etc etc but it's a pretty clear signal that the end is nigh for them:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Trump decides to nuke China to own the libs, finally opens the code-locked briefcase he's been carrying everywhere by his side for four years and it's full of rocks.
Better yet, it's a Fisher Price 'activity set' of some sort. There's a big red button, but pushing it merely causes a small plastic clown to pop up with an amusing 'honk' noise.

Last edited:

luka

Trumpists can spin this as the liberal media etc etc but it's a pretty clear signal that the end is nigh for them:

I think that was the play. I think that's why the mob was allowed to have their fun.
But this
Blaming it on Antifa will work for hardcore Republicans and Trumpists but it’s clear that a bunch of the insurgents had white supremacists tattoos and links with far right stuff. So I doubt that will have wider resonance.

what happens next? I guess Trump will have the option of pardoning these people on his last day. If he does then that will be the green light to ongoing fashy nastiness for many years to come.

If not, these people are armed and still too invested in this worldview to go anywhere else. Followers looking for a leader. Lone wolves. The armed wing of the divorced Dads.
is more troubling.

A kind of couch potato Taliban. Why? To what end? Some kind of low camp strategy of tension?

luka

Feegee sorry

Fijian prime minister Frank Bainimarama, who instigated a coup in his country in 2006, said the American protests were “an affront to democracies around the globe”, and expressed his confidence that “the USA will soon close this ugly chapter once and for all”

luka

the Internet and social media have merged reality and fiction completely.

Actor Jake Angeli turns up regularly in costume at pro-Trump events, baring his tattoos which include depictions of the president’s Mexico border wall, and sometimes carrying a sign saying “Q Sent Me”.

He has shouted at passers-by “You all know who Q is?” and explained Q “was a government agent who wanted to ‘take the country back’ from paedophiles and globalists.”

On a since deleted performance profile of Angeli on backstage.com, he is described as skilled in singing, screenwriting, public speaking and accents

luka

Reminds me of the implausibly photogenic 'Black Panther' cadre in the BLM who all turned out to be actors.

john eden

male pale and stale
I think that was the play. I think that's why the mob was allowed to have their fun.
But this

is more troubling.

A kind of couch potato Taliban. Why? To what end? Some kind of low camp strategy of tension?
Well Trump is invested only in his own greatness. So his next move will be to protect his legacy. But also to perpetuate the myth of "the steal". (Because how COULD he have lost if he is the greatest President America has ever seen?)

He can do this in a bunch of different ways, but if it suits his interests to promote the idea that insurgents need to save America from itself he will continue to do that - it's not like there will be any serious consequences for him if he words things ambiguously.

When the post-pandemic economic shockwave hits there are going to be a lot of pissed off people in America and Trump is uniquely placed to lead that charge and there is already an alternative media set up to hang on his coat tails.

luka

I'm thinking it might be over for Trump himself. I'm not putting money on it. But my gut says hes about to get done. Still, I'm usually wrong about these things.

john eden

male pale and stale
On a positive note, the US state was given the opportunity to turn fully fascist yesterday and it didn't. So things aren't as bad as they could be.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm thinking it might be over for Trump himself. I'm not putting money on it. But my gut says hes about to get done. Still, I'm usually wrong about these things.
There is talk of invoking the 25th amendment to get rid of him early and also various prosecutions when he is no longer in power. I can't see any of this happening to be honest, there is too much respect for the office of the President over there.

If he does new mad stuff when out of office that might be a different matter though.