Leo

saw some crazy statistic about how Texas has already received early votes from 95% of the total number of people who voted in 2016. it's either going to be a very quiet Election Day at the voting booths, or tons more people are voting this year.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I read that across the country about fifty percent of last year's total had voted but in some places - I think Texas was one - it was higher. Normally good for the Dems right but who knows?

IdleRich

IdleRich
But what is going on with the Tucker Carlson thing above? I totally assumed that they'd "lost" the documents after they had said they seemed authentic but before anyone could independently verify them... but now they're saying they've found them again. What are they playing at?

Leo

re: early voting, hard to tell. could just be cannibalizing the Election Day vote, although a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. heavy mail-in ballots might be bad in states that are too overwhelmed by the avalanche and take days to count them. some states start counting mail-in ballots as soon as the polls open on Election Day, which gives them all day to count. other states stupidly don't start counting them until the polls close, which means they could have an unmanageable number.

haven't paid attention to the Carlson saga. the guardian quotes a Business Insider article where UPS said the package was found but damaged, so I'm sure tucker will claim someone went through it and removed all the damning evidence. it's another conspiracy!!

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it's just weird. They'd seen it I think so they should know if anything is missing.
Although obviously the Trumpletons on twitter think that Barack Obama personally stole the package and removed the crucial evidence.

luka

Leaving aside that particular story/non-story I would expect the liberal media to be thinking and strategising carefully this time around. Did we get played by Trump last time around? Were we instrumental in his victory? How can we avoid getting played again? How partisan and pro-active should we be being here?

Leo

it does seem as if left-leaning media in general have been hammering the last 7-10 days about how the race is much closer than the polls say, how most swing states are toss ups, about how trump has a narrow but entirely doable path to winning the electoral college.

Leo

IMHO, the thing with the whole hunter biden laptop from hell saga is that it plays to a very small base of voters, most of whom are already decided voters. it's also out of step with the times: it worked in 2016 with hillary, so let's try it again.

the things people care about this year is COVID (dying, losing their healthcare coverage, etc.) and their jobs (precarious economic recovery, questionable continuation of government support/stimulus, etc.). hunter Biden's laptop is not important to voters.