sus

Yeah, it depends when/who. al-Andalus is definitely the sparkling example. I think Ottoman Empire has moments of being halfway decent, but also some really dark eras—no expert though, only know a bit from conversations with my partner Nico who took a course on it.

sus

Remember that the American South was the most British culture in colonies. Aristocracy, honor ethics, strong class divisions. The Northerners were largely religious or political dissenters fleeing Britain and Europe.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
The banal evil of working with someone who openly believes in abhorrent racist ideas and then pretending you like them in front of everybody in the name of tolerance
well, that's definitely not a practice I would encourage outside of existential or financial (such as to be existential) exigency

or really anything to do with what I'm talking about - I'm not saying anyone should tolerate terrible things

I'm saying you can't condemn everyone as equally morally bereft because of terrible things that have happened

sus

The "internal sickness" of America is largely the result of 1) the South's British-derived culture, and 2) the economic dependence of the South on slavery. The legacy of slavery is horrific but still short of e.g. what Belgium carried out in Africa, or Japan carried out in China, etc during similar time periods.

nilprenia

well, that's definitely not a practice I would encourage outside of existential or financial (such as to be existential) exigency

or really anything to do with what I'm talking about - I'm not saying anyone should tolerate terrible things

I'm saying you can't condemn everyone as equally morally bereft because of terrible things that have happened
Well that's the sort of thing I'm talking about. People in this country just believe in nonsense ideas. You get shamed for being normal and caring about other people

sus

ask her about Devshirme, i.e. the forcible recruiting of Christian children as slave soldiers

or the widespread practice of sexual slavery in harems

or etc

Yeah but in general religious persecution among Arab empires is much less than Christian empires, yeah? That at least is the narrative I regularly encountered from profs in college, granted it was a very post-colonial campus, there was a lot of "correcting" previous narratives of American exceptionalism, a lot of ah downplaying the violence of non-American or non-white empires.

padraig (u.s.)

The "internal sickness" of America is largely the result of 1) the South's British-derived culture, and 2) the economic dependence of the South on slavery. The legacy of slavery is horrific but still short of e.g. what Belgium carried out in Africa, or Japan carried out in China, etc during similar time periods.
sure (tho Japan in China was the next century - 19th was still the British, Opium Wars etc - but whatever, larger point still holds)

as I said these other places didn't have that internal sickness because they outsourced it

tho Russian serfdom is kind of comparable

sus

Reminds me of some of the cultural controversies in Mexico these days, where e.g. Aztecs are cast as victim of the "European cancer"—folks from indigenous tribes conquered and enslaved by Aztecs not such fans of these narratives.

sus

Important to remember that empire-building often looks like empires eating other empires, and the victims ("losers") of one conflict are the oppressors ("winners") of another. Not much grace, and having the technological capacity to conquer gets you further in historical explanation than something like "moral depravity" does.

nilprenia

I think it's more complicated than that. A lot of it originates in the Northeast. Massachusetts is insane

padraig (u.s.)

Yeah but in general religious persecution among Arab empires is much less than Christian empires, yeah?
Muslim empires were relatively more benign in their treatment of other People of the Book, that's true

that's not to say they treated subject Jews and Christians well, just not as badly as Christian Europe tended to treat Jews

I think it's a reach to say that Muslim empires were overall more "morally upright", given for example their general reliance on chattel slavery

tbh you need more expertise in the area than I have to make that kind of sweeping judgment

but it also seems like the kind of judgement that a relatively neutral historian would be suspicious of

Reactions: sus

sus

GjD3A5yvRlr9OQrAOpmrEjqTGlPSjlL4j39bIdmNJsJwfIFqTueNjYHIlusPEdEdqa7bjnw2LYTb7j3KJjocvqc5FcIF2D9l45tJC8KiGMpkZPEaDSHz

padraig (u.s.)

I think it's more complicated than that. A lot of it originates in the Northeast. Massachusetts is insane
he's talking about why the North and South developed the respective ways that they did

the point isn't that the North was, to go back to the term, morally upright

slavery wasn't outlawed in the most of the North til the 1780s and 90s

and even after that plenty of Northern merchants etc profited on the Triangular Atlantic slave trade

there's a song in 1776 devoted to that very thing!

sus

North US abolished slavery half a century before Britain, not that it's a competition, but putting into perspective. Sometimes I meet Brits who think the US was lagging way behind and morally regressive on the issue. They weren't. Slavery was dying out in the States in the early 19th C, and without the cotton gin may well have been abolished across the colonies at a similar point in time—not that such centralized, federal measures were very common antebellum.

nilprenia

Another thing I don't like about America is how based on superficialities the social order is. If a politician is fat everybody will like them more (this is a big part of why my Democrat-leaning state voted for a Republican governor)