padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I think I would say in general in re empires and "moral uprightness"

that obviously we're judging by our own 21st C views rather than some universal historical standard of morality

so in that sense it is a bit farcical to judge these things against each other

but at the same time, our own moral views and the record of history are the only tools we have to make those judgements

it's probably not helpful for understanding the Ottomans or Imperial Britain or the U.S. or etc to ask which is "more" moral

but it is helpful to ask that question in thinking about how your own society can more equitable, or why these terrible things keep recurring

it's important to understand that America isn't ahistorical, either in terms of exceptionalism or awfulness

Reactions: sus

sus

Wait where is the evidence overweight politicians outperform? I highly doubt that to be the case

sus

Weight is well-known in politics to be a major handicap, at least last I checked (circa Christie's terms)

nilprenia

Wait where is the evidence overweight politicians outperform? I highly doubt that to be the case
I just notice that people who live in the suburbs are a lot friendlier to people who look like their dads. "Could get a beer with him" is code for an appearance judgement, you won't find any empirical study on it but it's a pretty common cultural commentary

linebaugh

The health of 75 NSW State Government members of parliament and 192 senior public servants who have undergone routine health check-ups over the last seven years was assessed. It was found that 67% of members of parliament and 57% of senior public servants were overweight. Many overweight participants thought that their diets were average, their exercise and fitness adequate and that they were only a little overweight. Most thought their excess weight was not harmful. However, excess weight was found to be associated with other physiological variables including increased blood pressure, plasma cholesterol, triglyceride and urate levels.

sus

Correlation != causation

but I could buy there's a sweet spot between too skinny and too overweight

but there's no way someone like Christie is at a political advantage

dad body sure why not

nilprenia

Anyway what I originally was saying has been made in to minced meat, to translate a Punjabi saying. I'm not trying to prove a point or convince anyone of anything. I do think in general "looking the part" gets you very far socially, politically, whatever. Mr. Christie may be disliked but he's not struggling to find allies. There's always people who will open the door for him. If I ran for office it would be dead in the water

linebaugh

pete-heels.jpg