constant escape

winter withered, warm
That is, the emergence of the higher-order, supervenient digital system, is itself a systematization of the human will, regulating it and, by extension, indirectly regulating whatever the human will is capable of regulating.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
So I think the margins that the human will is working within, is the rate at which the optimal equilibrium is approached, and we are capable of both hastening/expediting this rate, curbing/regulating it, or outright killing it in some cases.

Similar to how someone in an executive role within a corporation is responsible for higher-order maneuvering, managerial/administrative in nature. In charge of optimizing the base functions, but also capable of hindering them or destroying them altogether.

So human will does factor into the larger cosmic trends toward physical organization, rather than just being some illusional and tangential emergence. That said, a proper system ought to have insurance established in case its executive functions prove detrimental to the system.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I meant the voting system you were originally on about
Oh in that case, I would suggest trying to identify what kind of benchmarks are being referred to, in terms of what feedback is useful, and if these benchmarks are contingency upon historical circumstances that have become obsolete in some way.

In terms of civics, I still have a lot to learn. I've just been building up a momentum within abstract spheres, in the interest of hitting the concrete running.

Proper nouns? Not sure there. My suggestion would be to look toward whoever exerts dominant influences on how policies get passed, and whether or not such parties are officially part of the government. Could be that they have no interest in optimizing the voting system, the civic feedback system.

That said, I do believe there are a number of earnest and responsible congresspeople, or even civil servants more broadly, who would be interested in making this civic feedback system more robust.

How would we be able to identify the optimal directions to move in? I would start with looking toward technical innovations.

Specifically re: blockchain, I'm not sure. From what I gather, in principle, it has the potential to radically reorient financial systems. Will old money manage to to curb this revolution and merely nest blockchain within a larger financial system that preserves their wealth? Could be, depends on whether or not blockchain can be reconciled with certain loopholes of our current system.

Again, my understanding is almost purely conceptual.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
It seems like higher order systems consist of binary outputs from its lower order constitutive parts, which are systems unto themselves.

Like a neural pathway being a system comprised of neurons, which are systems unto themselves. Within the system, dynamics are non-binary, with a gradient of possible input. Nut the system itself involves a means of amounting to a higher or system, and this means consists of a threshold, a threshold that, if passed by the levels of input, triggers a signal.

This signal is binary, and this signal is the base inter-neuron dynamic of the higher order system. Either that threshold is passed, indicating a certain amount of neurotransmitter, or it isn't. But this binary dynamic only seems to have real significance within the framework of the higher order system, rather than within the framework of the lower order system, the neuron.

Sure, the neuron can undergo changes that are more or less caused by higher order wirings, but the basic ontology of the neuron is more or less unchanged.

So as this pertains to voting, our binary output would be yes/no, in a manner similar to how neurons compose higher-order systems. While we may have non-binary opinions about some of these matters, these opinions are collapsed down into a binary expression, in the interest of diminishing ambiguity within the formation of higher order systems, in this case an electoral system.

So how can we more robustly translate our opinions into binary expressions?

Alternatively, how can we engineer a higher=order system that doesn't require binary output from its lower-order constituent systems?

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK so I'm reading that the first states close voting at 1900 EST, which should be 2300 in UK/Portugal... how soon after that will the counts be in? Is it worth my staying up? I mean I know some won't be decided for days but some will be quicker right?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Getting feedback is, in principle easier than ever, and perhaps the current voting systems we utilize were developed in eras wherein feedback wasn't as rapid and flexible as it is now.

So perhaps there could be some kind of distributed policy-making that could prove more robust than the binary voting system we've been using. Perhaps there could be a many-layered federalized feedback hierarchy, based on community meetings and whatnot.

And perhaps the output of these community meetings can still be expressed in binary terms, seeing as binary terms can still allow for robust information - just a matter of how it is engineered.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is anyone else getting absolutely pelted with emails from a democratic candidate called Jamie Harrison? I've never knowingly subscribed to any mailing list. Wondering if this could be a nefarious Republican tactic to make people hate the democrats.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
OK so I'm reading that the first states close voting at 1900 EST, which should be 2300 in UK/Portugal... how soon after that will the counts be in? Is it worth my staying up? I mean I know some won't be decided for days but some will be quicker right?
Would you rather receive the information in a piecemeal fashion, or all at once?

Leo

apparently, lots of important swing states will have pretty solid counts by 9:00 pm/2100 EST, so you might have a reasonable idea by then. 10 or 11pm EST better.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Cos I'm thinking to go to my friend's to watch it, but if nothing happens until 5am gonna be a long night.
Ohio should be one of the first to declare I think and that's potentially important.