Going it alone

sus

circa 1977 (i.e. Heroes)?

roughly a million records

Yeah but where does this get us? A handful of actual contemporaneous albums that you think were "full of life" and that Bowie vampirically "sucked the life out of" and put his name on would at least give folks a take-home listening assignment

sus

you keep going on about rockism but that's totally rockism

Nah rockism has more modernist/avant pretensions

At the end of the day, philly soul is an orchestra putting out vibes—the nice thing about hip-hop is you get vibes and words. This is probably a big difference in taste between us tho

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
he's definitely not straight for the record
I didn't say he was. neither was, according to that story about them, Mick Jagger.

what is true is that he spent some of the 70s using ambiguous sexuality as a marketing tool then abandoned it once it as no longer useful. it's what Velvet Goldmine (very thinly) fictionalizes.

boxedjoy

this is brilliant! all music pre-'88 is rubbish!

it's not that it's all rubbish, really, I'm just being glib. There's the disco/boogie continuum, the German axis, New Age, probably other stuff I can't think of immediately. I just hate the idea that I should respect the heritage rubbish popstars of years gone by because they were ~important~ even though the tunes were dismal and the acts of their being popstars seem dull and dated by today's standards

padraig (u.s.)

also I think it would just lead to argument about whether or not things are good or more or less good than each other

which, is Rich said, is pointless

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wouldn't describe myself as a Bowie fan but I did the typical thing of listening to his music after he died and I found plenty to like.

Let's Dance, Moonage Daydream, Ashes to Ashes, Life on Mars, Rebel Rebel, etc...

I'm basically of the opinion that if you create more than a couple of bangers (particularly wedding bangers) in your career you deserve a pat on the back.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Needless to say though I'd happily can Bowie's complete discography if that was the only way to save Patrice Rushen's top 5 songs from the furnaces.

*tips head appreciatively* good trackback play there mate. yeah he was going to be offside. 'smart quick ball played to third and here he comes...'

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wouldn't describe myself as a Bowie fan but I did the typical thing of listening to his music after he died and I found plenty to like.

Let's Dance, Moonage Daydream, Ashes to Ashes, Life on Mars, Rebel Rebel, etc...

I'm basically of the opinion that if you create more than a couple of bangers (particularly wedding bangers) in your career you deserve a pat on the back.
I'm more and more of that opinion.

padraig (u.s.)

Needless to say though I'd happily can Bowie's complete discography if that was the only way to save Patrice Rushen's top 5 songs from the furnaces
I'd do it just for Haven't You Heard (or Number One or Forget Me Nots or etc) but yeah

tho I concede Let's Dance is a wedding banger. it's very hard to go wrong with early 80s Nile Rodgers.