constant escape

winter withered, warm
To lose faith in the ground is, in a sense, to lose the capability of sustaining factuality. Facts become less tenable, if there isn't a place for them to place their bags.

Arguably why things get so multi-faceted and complicated with something like post-structuralism. So long as we thought meaning was a more or less fixed thing, asserting and believing facts were simpler things altogether, no?

sus

I think the issue is that Sturgeon's Law applies here as it does everywhere.

The fact that the linguistic complexity makes it harder to evaluate and tell the worthwhile 10% from the trash 90% probably compounds the issue.

But there's some very good "postmodern" thought: Lyotard, Kuhn, Bourdieu, Butler to name a few. Probably "poststructural" is a better word in thinking about the late 20th C continental philosophy movement, reserving "postmodern" for a general sensibility of cultural production, from art to film to literature.

I haven't made my mind up about Derrida. Pretty sure Baudrillard had some good ideas but is an overly pessimistic twat and generally sucks. Lacan may or may not have been a charlatan who pulled the hood over the intellectual ruling class (I like this conspiracy quite a bit). But hey, psychoanalysis really resonates for some people! Just because it comes off to me like an alien meaning system invented by crazy sex addicts doesn't mean it isn't a good map of some psychologies.

sus

I always get mixed feelings about Foucault. I think he might be based? I still have no idea whether his concept of "heterotopia" is brilliant or banal.

vimothy

yurp
if postmodernism is a threat to liberal democracy and to modernity itself, you could imagine that right wingers would be favourably disposed to it

Reactions: sus

constant escape

winter withered, warm
if postmodernism is a threat to liberal democracy and to modernity itself, you could imagine that right wingers would be favourably disposed to it
Because liberal democracy depends on consistent and central narratives? In the interest of informing/guiding the beliefs of the citizens?

version

That D&G bit about carrying around a piece of ground, forget who mentioned it and where.
DeLanda in his Techgnosis interview,

'As they say, the key word here is not wisdom, but caution. You don’t know what happens at bifurcations. You have absolutely no control. The smallest fluctuation can make things go wrong. The predictive power of humans and technology is nil near bifurcations. All you can do is approach carefully, because the last thing you want to do is get swallowed up by a chaotic attractor that’s too huge in phase space. As Deleuze says, “Always keep a piece of fresh land with you at all times.” Always keep a little spot where you can go back to sleep after a day of destratification. Always keep a small piece of territory, otherwise you’ll go nuts.'

luka

DeLanda in his Techgnosis interview,

'As they say, the key word here is not wisdom, but caution. You don’t know what happens at bifurcations. You have absolutely no control. The smallest fluctuation can make things go wrong. The predictive power of humans and technology is nil near bifurcations. All you can do is approach carefully, because the last thing you want to do is get swallowed up by a chaotic attractor that’s too huge in phase space. As Deleuze says, “Always keep a piece of fresh land with you at all times.” Always keep a little spot where you can go back to sleep after a day of destratification. Always keep a small piece of territory, otherwise you’ll go nuts.'

that is very literally switching of tracks switching of timelines switching universes... just so you know

vimothy

yurp
who is the most based poststructuralist / postmodernist theorist? baudrillard imo, foucault in second place