vimothy

yurp
“Now, there is no such thing as ‘man’ in this world. In my life I have seen Frenchmen, Italians, Russians, and so on. I even know, thanks to Montesquieu, that one can be Persian. But as for man, I declare I’ve never encountered him.”

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
this is basis of isaiah berlin's (liberal) critique of the "counter-enlightenment"
I knew who he was but I've never read him

do you personally think it's a problem to share a belief with people whose politics you oppose that the good is context dependent?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Thats an interesting point, an interest grounds of alignment. To reciprocally acknowledge that each other's ethics is relative. But how stable/tenable can that be, as a political arrangement, short of a group of enlightened beings?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
how stable/tenable can that be, as a political arrangement, short of a group of enlightened beings?
it seems to work well enough in practice, at least as well as believing ethics are dictated by God(s)

it's not like people who believe in universal truth or good actually stick to that belief in practice

vimothy

yurp
the way berlin introduces it is via a discussion of machiavelli - suppose there are public and private truths, i.e., suppose there are things you might do from the POV of a public figure that are completely untenable from the POV of a private individual, like butchering political enemies