padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
alrite

what I see is - no society has ever unanimously agreed on a shared universal morality or conception of the good

so how is anyone to say their particular version of the good is truer than anyone else's?

padraig (u.s.)

but the idea of universal truth might open up a space for a critique of slavery
I'd say the same thing back to you that you did about Foucault

is it a problem that the same idea of universal truth can be used to both critique and support slavery?

padraig (u.s.)

doesn't the fact that the exact same idea can be used to support two diametrically opposed things itself argue against universality?

luka

yes, here you have one of the many hard probelms in that its very very hard to find value outside of the self and yet we want to

version

Well, a supposedly prestigious journal printed a paper that was intentionally written as a nonsensical pisstake. The implication is that the whole field is a nonsensical pisstake. I don't really see how that fact can be sidestepped.
You can sidestep it by presenting the Sokal affair as ethical hacking.

padraig (u.s.)

you said that rightwingers might share Foucault's view of the good, which I was asked was a discredit to Foucault

if slaveholders and slavery advocates share a view of universal truth with Berlin (or whoever), is that a discredit to him? and/or to the idea of universal truth?

if the idea of universal good can be used in support of slavery, how useful can it be for anyone who opposes slavery?

version

aren't we seeing the grand narratives re-assert themselves via conspiracy, cummings runs the UK, etc? like we want a simpler strongman trump type leader on the one hand and a complex QAnon scenario behind the scenes
Did they ever go away? That there are no grand narratives is a grand narrative itself.

linebaugh

postmodernism as an existential threat is weird because it can also be viewed as a preserving limit, the cycling of the past at the expense of the future

luka

this is a very real quandry which is exactly why we as individyals and as a culture are stuck. this is very very hard. k-punk tried to get through it by saying rationality was found within the self. if we can only locate it within ourselves. which is, i think, inadequate.

version

Are we agreeing that postmodernism is a thing that's been foisted on society by various artists and thinkers then and not simply a condition they're responding to? Seems as though that's up for debate.

luka

this is a very real quandry which is exactly why we as individyals and as a culture are stuck. this is very very hard. k-punk tried to get through it by saying rationality was found within the self. if we can only locate it within ourselves. which is, i think, inadequate.

what you are relying on here is everyone running the same OS