The End of Civilization.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
hackers hacking the "Gibson" supercomputer

Hackers is such a letdown cos they want to it kind of be this super cool Neuromancer thing

but then also crossed with a total standard teen dramedy

and some very poor notions of what kidz thought wuz kool ca. 1995ish

everyone rollerblades everywhere? why? is there anything that more screams "It's 1995!"

having said that, it's a highly enjoyable ridiculous movie that I'd happily defend. Angelina Jolie has sideburns.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's a famous clip where a man and a woman are typing on the same keyboard at once, what's that from?

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's got that bit where they make Hugh Jackman hack the DoD at gunpoint whilst being sucked off.

Not really relevant to the discussion but it also has that bit where they chase each other by rolling down hill, amongst the funniest scenes ever filmed. I watched it with my friend and he was crying with laughter, properly helpless, falling off his chair and struggling to breathe.

padraig (u.s.)

hack the planet bro

he went straight from this to Trainspotting

I like to think they exist in a shared universe where Sick Boy sorted out his heroin problems and moved to NY as all cool hackers do

padraig (u.s.)

isn't War Games supposed to one of the most accurate hacking movies ever

i.e. he accomplished almost everything thru social engineering

rather than cool montages with 3-D data streams etc

sus

Startup culture is a big culture that describes a lot of people
Genuinely interesting freethinking people are a very small percentage of the overall population, so we should assume that they'll be relatively rare to find anywhere
Nevertheless, I maintain that the percentage in Valley engineering is higher than the general population, and higher than most rival industries. E.g. publishing or journalism. Maybe numbers similar to academia.

luka

I'm with Padriag on this one I think they are all Nazi agents of death and should be eliminated making art is cool a beautiful gift to the world to make people laugh and cry making a burrito app is pathetic.

luka

Maybe suspended reason is come kind of agent sent to infiltrate the cool kids gang and convince us that corporate culture is the new rock and roll and we should all cut our hair and get a real job fitting in is the new dropping out

luka

"If we can just turn these guys it'll start a landslide Gus, you listen to me, you need to start with the influencers of the influencers, maybe 5 or 6 guys. We focus on them, we turn them, we get the whole culture following suit, bang, just like that. Just fit in first, name drop some cool indie bands, uh, talk about hot chicks in pinafores, make them think you're one of them...."