shakahislop

brooklynculturemaf.ia

actually though I'm not sure about the name. In 2017/8 it seemed more appropriate. But now everyone's who's everyone is in Manhattan. Manhattan Culture Mafia doesn't quite have the same clarity to it—too many other cultures there. But you say Brooklyn everyone knows what you're talking about, even if it sorta erases non-white cultures there
It's an interesting linguistic quirk isn't it, where the word 'Brooklyn' refers to two different geographical entities, and you only know which one is being referred to by the context.

I am pretty fascinated by the whole place still. I had no idea what a distinct thing Brooklyn (the bigger version) was before I lived here. And even then it took me a long time to get my head around. I think the absolutely relentless density of the housing is really unusual. The mixture of jewish, black and puerto rican as dominent groups is quite a unique heritage, it's hard to think of equivalent places elsewhere. The way that it seems to be a complex series of enclaves. Kabul is a bit like that to be fair, but it's only groups from that region, rather than from everywhere like Brooklyn is

Reactions: Leo

shakahislop

I definitely don't know what this means, what are the two entities?
There's Brooklyn the borough, which is a pretty massive area with something like 2 million people living there. But then you can also use the term 'Brooklyn' to refer only to the fancy more expensive bits, which are a pretty small part of the borough, like in the thread title.

Leo

is wilhelmsburg the expensive bit?

it became a lot more expensive over the past 10-15 years. lots of empty formerly industrial areas on the waterfront were redeveloped with dozens of modern high-rise apartment buildings with great views of the Manhattan skyline.

Leo

the most expensive are probably Brooklyn heights, park slope. lots of beautiful old brownstones.

shakahislop

is wilhelmsburg the expensive bit?
Yeah. More accurately, it's a fairly small part of the expensive bit. That was one of the first bits of brooklyn that got expensive, and the wave has moved outwards from there. There's another cluster more or less near brooklyn bridge (that leo is talking about) that similarly got expensive, and the wave has moved out from there as well.

The only bit in that swathe, which basically runs from red hook to greenpoint, which has managed to resist is South Williamsburg. Which has done so comprehensively. It's very very hasidic. It's a pretty fascinating example of a community that has somehow managed to win the gentrification battle. I don't know how.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

everywhere in Brooklyn has become a lot more expensive than it used to be, but that's the same everywhere. two big factors: housing stock and proximity to a subway line. bed-sty isn't that close, but has great old brownstones that "newcomers"/gentrifiers bought for cheap and renovated the hell out of. and places that aren't near subway lines gentrify more slowly, since they aren't as convenient. red hook has increased in value, but would be a lot more expensive if there were subway lines cutting through it.

sus

A
Yeah. More accurately, it's a fairly small part of the expensive bit. That was one of the first bits of brooklyn that got expensive, and the wave has moved outwards from there. There's another cluster more or less near brooklyn bridge (that leo is talking about) that similarly got expensive, and the wave has moved out from there as well.

The only bit in that swathe, which basically runs from red hook to greenpoint, which has managed to resist is South Williamsburg. Which has done so comprehensively. It's very very hasidic. It's a pretty fascinating example of a community that has somehow managed to win the gentrification battle. I don't know how.
When you own the land there is no gentrification battle.

Leo

of course, not everything has changed...

Serial Killer, 83, Suspected In BK Body Parts Case

BROOKLYN, NY — A recently-released 83-year-old serial killer is suspected of murdering a woman — whose dismembered body parts were found scattered across eastern Brooklyn last week — after police found a human head in her home, according to police, court records and reports.
Harvey Marcelin — a transgender woman who spent decades in jail for killing two ex-girlfriends — was arrested March 4 after police found the human head in her Cypress Hills home, court records show.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

IdleRich

IdleRich
So she killed someone in 1963 and was jailed, but paroled in 1984... and then returned to jail within a year after killing someone else. After serving her full sentence she's out in 2019... but soon she's done it again. Again.

So who reckons she'll manage one more when she emerges age 111 in 2050?