Leo

Can't make this shit up, right? If you watched a movie with this plot, you wouldn't believe it.

Leo

A vibe shift is the catchy but sort of too-cool term Monahan uses for a relatively simple idea: In the culture, sometimes things change, and a once-dominant social wavelength starts to feel dated. Monahan, who is 35, breaks down the three vibe shifts he has survived and observed: Hipster/Indie Music (ca. 2003–9), or peak Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, high-waisted Cheap Mondays, Williamsburg, bespoke-cocktail bars; Post-Internet/Techno Revival (ca. 2010–16), or the Blood Orange era, normcore, dressing like The Matrix, Kinfolk the club, not Kinfolk the magazine; and Hypebeast/Woke (ca. 2016–20), or Drake at his Drakest, the Nike SNKRS app, sneaker flipping, virtue signaling, Donald Trump, protests not brunch.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Damn this guy must be some kind of human cockroach to have survived all that. Totally indestructible he emerges from the wreckage to survey the blasted landscape strewn with dead Bloc Party fans. It actually really bugs me all these people in Ukraine moaning about a few bombs and tanks on their street when they have never had to deal with a real problem such as Arcade Fire going out of fashion.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I... don't know what that means. What is Lorecraft? Is he the one who wrote The Greenwich Horror and The Rats in the Stonewall and all that stuff?

william_kent

I... don't know what that means. What is Lorecraft? Is he the one who wrote The Greenwich Horror and The Rats in the Stonewall and all that stuff?

heh - you don't really need to know, but "lorecraft" is the new management bullshit "science" for the "web 3" cool kids

lorecraft is full of stuff like this:

Aspirants to insider status in a group must work to gain the subcultural literacy that allows them to access a body of lore.

which is sort of relevant to this thread....

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Aspirants to insider status in a group must work to gain the subcultural literacy that allows them to access a body of lore.

Yeah this incentive is even stronger if the lore itself is tokenized as an object of speculative investment. Financial interests aside, the motivations would be things like clout, or a sense of belonging maybe.

Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Because now, subcultural artifacts like tweets, or memes endogenous to Dissensus, can become unique and verifiable digital assets. And so it follows that one's mastery of a subcultural lore can be quantified and even monetized.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And if mastery of a subcultural lore is seen as a proxy for in-group clout, i.e. that someone gets all the inside jokes and appreciates the subcultures history and social dynamics, this kind of status itself can be captured in code, to some degree.

Reactions: sus

IdleRich

IdleRich
this is more @Clinamenic speak from the crypto thread

You say that and I can tell that it kinda touched a bit of a nerve with Clinamenic. He won't admit it, he'll pretend that this is just what he was gonna say anyway, but I'm sure that he deliberately raised his game with this sentence; dug deep to really show whoever wrote that stuff about "lore" that there is only one master of that particular style of writing around here and to replace him it's gonna take some serious... verbiage.

Yeah this incentive is even stronger if the lore itself is tokenized as an object of speculative investment. Financial interests aside, the motivations would be things like clout, or a sense of belonging maybe.

"tokenized as an object of speculative investment" - magnificent! Really put the pretender in his place.

Leo

You say that and I can tell that it kinda touched a bit of a nerve with Clinamenic. He won't admit it, he'll pretend that this is just what he was gonna say anyway, but I'm sure that he deliberately raised his game with this sentence; dug deep to really show whoever wrote that stuff about "lore" that there is only one master of that particular style of writing around here and to replace him it's gonna take some serious... verbiage.

"tokenized as an object of speculative investment" - magnificent! Really put the pretender in his place.

It's heartening to know Stan has a nerve, and it could be touched.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm sorry Clinamenic, just ignore me and keep doing what you're doing. It's always better to be the one doing than the snidey wanker making sarky comments from the sidelines.