version

I've already got it. Just haven't bothered reading it. Started it a while back, but decided I wasn't in the mood.

catalog

Big commitment is required no doubt. I got dostoevsky staring me down while ipiss about with the invisibles

sus

Don't agree with that but nvm. Main thing is that spen should read both and then if he really wants to, he can go and look at natasha staggs nudes

Nah, nudity wouldn't be a turn-on, the turn-on is that they think they're better than you, so they'll sexually reject you (in the hypothetical) which spurs your will to power, spurs your way up in the world

IdleRich

IdleRich
Can we get passages?
Well... not off the top of my head, no. But for me one of the main oppositions in the book is between the authentic fakes made by the main character (who obsessively creates new old masters) and the worthless originals in the contemporary scene. It's not as simple as the first being good and the second bad - cos the first is insane really and... well i think over the course of the book he changed his mind as to what it was about and so on... but that was something that really stuck out to me.
I like the scenes in parties which are pages and pages long of inane conversations overlapping. I like the way they're done and on but they don't represent those involved as particularly... smart. Although to write those scenes he must have closely observed the type, albeit with fascinated horror.

Reactions: sus

linebaugh

Can we get passages?

Over this grandstand disposal of promise the waiters stared with a distance of glazed indulgence which all collected under it admired, as they admired the rudeness, which they called self-respect; the contempt, which they called innate dignity; the avarice, which they called self-reliance; the tasteless ill-made clothes on the men, lauded as indifference, and the farspaced posturings of haute couture across the Seine, called inimitable or shik according to one’s stay. Marvelous to wide eyes, pricked ears, and minds of that erectile quality betraying naive qualms of transatlantic origin (alert here under hair imitative long-grown, uncombed, on the male, curtly shorn on the girls) was this spectacle of culture fully realized. They regarded as the height of excellence that nothing remained to be done, no tree to be planted nor building torn down (they had not visited Le Bourget; found the wreckage up behind the Hôtel de Ville picturesque), no tree too low nor building too high (those telescoping lampposts on the Pont du Carrousel), no bud of possibility which had not opened in the permanent bloom of artificial flowers, no room for that growth which is the abiding flower of humility.

Before their displacement from nature, baffled by the grandeur of their own culture which they could not define, and so believed did not exist, these transatlantic visitors had learned to admire in this neatly parceled definition of civilization the tyrannous pretension of many founded upon the rebellious efforts of a few, the ostentation of thousands presumed upon the strength of a dozen who had from time to time risen against this vain complacence with the past to which they were soon to contribute, giving, with their harried deaths, grounds for vanity of language, which they had perfected; supercilious posturing of intellect, which they had suffered to understand and deliver, in defiance; insolent arbitration of taste, grown from the efforts of those condemned as having none; contempt for others flourishing from seedlings which they had planted in the rain of contempt for themselves; dogmata of excellence founded upon insulting challenges wrought in impossible hope, and then grasped, for granted, from their hands fallen clenching it as dogma.

Reactions: sus

linebaugh

Paris, but essentially the same is said of NYC. NYC scenesters being the copy of a copy that are Paris scenesters

linebaugh

That's truly awful it's like a teenagers diary
What about this one?

Spain is a land to flee across. Every town, and every capital, is a destination; and the names which ring with refuge to the fugitive mount with finality to him traveling relentlessly unpursued, setting destinations one after another whose reasons for being so cease upon arrival, and he must move on, to provide that interim of purpose with which each new destination endows the journey however short, and search each pause with reasons anxiously mistaken drawing nearer, with each destination, to the last

luka

Worst bit of writing I've ever seen I feel soiled by it it's like when I spend hours reading Incel material or PUA stuff or something. Grubby grubby disgusting