sus

I think "P" is the optimal stance if you're under 35 and then you better switch to J or you're just wishy-washy. The next gen needs guidance; some things are better than others; and "culture" is just what gets preserved vs. what gets left behind.

version

Ulysses by the end is really quite heartbreaking, you are properly invested in bloom.
I really felt for him in the pub with everyone saying antisemitic stuff and him trying to fight his corner. Also whenever he brings up his son, Rudy.

He ceased. Mr Bloom glanced from his angry moustache to Mr Power's mild face and Martin Cunningham's eyes and beard, gravely shaking. Noisy selfwilled man. Full of his son. He is right. Something to hand on. If little Rudy had lived. See him grow up. Hear his voice in the house. Walking beside Molly in an Eton suit. My son. Me in his eyes. Strange feeling it would be. From me. Just a chance.

• Sad
Reactions: sus

sus

I've read some chapters, like the one where Bloom hangs out with his cat and goes to get liver at the butchershop, and the one where Buck's shaving his face on the turret. I should—Gravity's Rainbow might be next on my summer blockbuster list tho—Death/Corner pilled me on it pretty well

catalog

I've read some chapters, like the one where Bloom hangs out with his cat and goes to get liver at the butchershop, and the one where Buck's shaving his face on the turret. I should—Gravity's Rainbow might be next on my summer blockbuster list tho—Death/Corner pilled me on it pretty well
Have you not read GR? It's good but ulysses is a lot better.

version

Are you onto the questions bit, 2nd to last chapter, yet? That's the killer one
Nah, not yet. I haven't been reading it that much. I'm a few pages off Oxen of the Sun. The section in the maternity ward where he goes through the gestation of the English language.

version

I prefer GR. More going on. It's the idea vs character thing again. I'd rather read about the military-industrial complex and the occult than daily life in Dublin.

catalog

never ready any big books never had the time. have tried on Ulysses, Recognitions, IJ. The best I've done is like, Wuthering Heights + Freedom.

Reading prolonged things isn't something I'm good at anymore, haven't been since I was a kid. Think it's the amount of other stuff that's in the queue always outcompeting. Longform fiction delivers in big ways but at any given moment, the return on reading fiction can be relatively slim
Oh dear spen, oh dear. Oh dear. You know what this means don't you?

sus

You made up that quote I never posted it there isn't a thing I haven't read, let's get that clear.

catalog

GR's better, imo. More going on. It's the idea vs character thing again. I'd rather read about the military-industrial complex and the occult than daily life in Dublin.
GR is good, the ending with the kabbalah and all, but it's let down by how silly it is. I know Joyce is silly too, but GR gets a bit much at times

version

GR also doesn't feel as antiquated. It's still very fresh. Ulysses feels like a bit of an artifact. The language dates it.