constant escape

winter withered, warm
I never doubted the validity of this thread, nor do I dismiss the hubris @suspendedreason seems to be attempting to sustain, if he was being serious, albeit figuratively, about taking over the world.

In fact I welcome it - a rather potent drive, should one harness it properly.

Coming into yourself, into the world, these days - you're exposed to so much right away that you seem to be left with an all or nothing drive. Some sort of inflated sense of agency, or else nihilism. The latter is a non-starter, and the former is obviously dangerous, but what other options do we have? Traditional political involvement? Fuck that.

New roads need to be paved, and @suspendedreason 's perfectly within his rights to explore this or that possibility.

That said, don't restrain the demotivation. Its like training. If you can perpetually preclude your own demotivation, you unlock an infinite potential for taking pains.

luka

But he doesn't like these people he hates them. So does everyone, so what do we want to do with this? What are we going to do with it? They're ugly. Stupid. Gawky. Spoiled. What do you want to do?

Leo

What are we talking about? What am I dodging? I missed something I think

This?

"No, that's not my program. That's not your program either. Your program is the same as mine, which is anger at inadequacy, at a vacuum in quality. You're lashing out at me precisely because I still hold out the hope you gave up on long ago."

"Your entire gig is mocking tourists by serving them up Quality they can't identify, Real Things they're unable to distinguish from the saccharine falsehoods"

Reactions: sus

luka

I don't particularly disagree. Jobs are what we fall into. We keep them until they drive us mad and we self destruct. Jobs are what we have to do, not what we want to do. They're an imposition, a humiliation and an embarrassment. I'm not proud of what I've done for for money but having to do things for money is what has kept me in touch with reality. Subject to the same pressures and necessities as everyone else.

Leo

I was thinking more this portion:

Your program is the same as mine, which is anger at inadequacy, at a vacuum in quality. You're lashing out at me precisely because I still hold out the hope you gave up on long ago."

Reactions: sus

luka

oh right, it's clearly not true is it. My life would be a lot more comfortable if I could give up, I remember my dad telling me how great it is once you give up. I thought, you must be mad, im never giving up. I'll grit my teeth till the bitter end. I almost want to fail so I can have the pleasure of holding out without reward the whole way through

constant escape

winter withered, warm
But he doesn't like these people he hates them. So does everyone, so what do we want to do with this? What are we going to do with it? They're ugly. Stupid. Gawky. Spoiled. What do you want to do?
I think its more about recognizing and mapping out their influence, than it is about appreciating them.

edit: and the former seems independent of the latter. That is, we don't need to like them, but we arguably ought to reckon with whatever influence they have.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah that's my approach here. Ideally, the analysis would be executed with indifference. But I can just as well tap into an attraction to them as I can a repulsion from them.

It’s distressing, discourse from an attractive face with a personality, sense of humour and a big following. things that were incompatible ten years ago. Zizek the pioneer here.