constant escape

winter withered, warm
Just saying, from as far as I can understand this stuff so far, there could well be gene regulating mechanisms involved in this or that psychoactive substance.

edit: again, pure speculation here. Just gradually redefining the starting parameters of what, specifically, could be possible.

edit edit: and whether or not these regulations could prove to be more or less permanent, or just temporary, I'm not sure. Not sure how temporary/permanent genetic regulations differ, or if such a distinction even exists.

Last edited:

luka

I actually have heard this pig sex thing before. Someone here posted a link to an article about pig sex years ago.

version

English-Pub.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: sus

sufi

lala
@sufi The anthropology of traumatic healing processes involving psychedelics, representing whole cultures and single individuals, macro and micro.

Better resolutions of analysis could show the amygdala changing from a system at an acute state of alert to less cortisol and glucose produced, possibly at a genetic level.

That would tweak it beyond a personality degree of openness, which is itself open to anecdote, more to a DNA sequence of mapped change. How the geneticists do this is beyond my knowing.
dang it sorry i got distracted

sufi

lala
you're talking about physical changes in shroomers, I was realy talking about evidence of the psychedelic evolutionary leap,

sus

It's a pretty long case to make, gimme some time to type it up proper. Workday for me and all—I oughta be programming, rather than hangin with y'all.

constant escape

winter withered, warm

Abstract​

Objectives Epigenetics refers to the heritable, but reversible regulation of various biological functions. Changes in DNA methylation and chromatin structure derived from histone modifications are involved in the brain development, pathogenesis and pharmacotherapy of brain disorders.

Key findings Evidence suggests that epigenetic modulations play key roles in psychiatric diseases such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. The analysis of epigenetic aberrations in the mechanisms of psychoactive drugs helps to determine dysfunctional genes and pathways in the brain, to predict side effects of drugs on human genome and identify new pharmaceutical targets for treatment of psychiatric diseases.

Summary Although numerous studies have concentrated on epigenetics of psychosis, the epigenetic studies of antipsychotics are limited. Here we present epigenetic mechanisms of various psychoactive drugs and review the current literature on psychiatric epigenomics. Furthermore, we discuss various epigenetic modulations in the pharmacology and toxicology of typical and atypical antipsychotics, methionine, lithium and valproic acid.

For anyone who wants to know, at least based on my understanding, epigenetics involves the manipulation (increased or inhibited expression) of genes by way of going "upstream" the information flow of biology (the "central dogma" being that DNA informs RNA, RNA informs proteins, and that is the only way information can "travel" in terms of causation).

As opposed to genetic expression changing due to mutations in the genetic sequence. It can also change in acquired (edit: that is, epigenetic) ways, perhaps including damage to DNA. But I'm not sure what that would consist of. Maybe just the degradation of the bonds that hold it together?

sufi

lala
they have started checking puddles in deep caves for dna now, and have found dissolved ancient beings in there. it's all a bit fantatsical, but i suppose that might be a route to comparing ancient vs modern mental equipment, but imho dna is overrated,

it's a scientificalisation of life, something quantifiable clutched at by desperate geeks amongst all the nourishing gravy that makes us tick, squelch and fart

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah the fash is strong in most, if not all, of scientisms.

edit: can we think of scientism as a belief system that conflates science with the territory it maps out?

sufi

lala
i know nothing about genetics. i read dawkins blind watchmaker and selfish gene as a teenager

but i find it hard to see any way in which psychological experience cant influence DNA.. why would adaptation to environment stop at neurons, hormones, brain stuff etc. the problem with the debate, having read nothing about it, is a silly mind body distinction
Dawkins is a huge fascist and scientificalist over-simplifier. a dogmatic fundamentalist
if you read those ridiculous rants in your formative years it may be too late to re-wire, and even if you didnt, those concepts are so aggressive and displacing that they may have colonised your brain indirectly, osmosing and overwriting less graspable but more accurate concepts