Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess I feel that if I have to ask the question I'm not getting the intended effect from it. I'm missing something.

luka

But that process is maybe the fun part. If you've 'got it' it's sort of the end of it isn't it. You've completed the game, clocked it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There was a time when I was happy enough to believe my taste was "right" and everybody else was wrong in one way or the other. A happier time.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
But I don't know whether I want to be able to understand Wordsworth e.g. because I feel I'm otherwise missing out on some sublime pleasure or if it's just that I want to be the sort of person who understands Wordsworth.

luka

Yes yes but what I'm proposing is a different starting point and means of interaction. I am inviting you to just read it and see what happens, what effects are produced, what ideas it sparks off. Just to stage the encounter, not in order to understand, but just for the sake of it.

luka

If you let go of these fantasies of being a clever person you can start to enjoy reading again. You'll never be a clever person. No one on dissensus will ever be a clever person but you can still be a lively and alert reader and have some fun with ideas etc

sus

The different windows onto the world they offer. What is accessible, what thoughts engendered, what are we cut off from and forbidden. How they exist in contrast to or sympathy with the wider moods of society (eg the French evolution and aftermath) or of nature, ooh it's spring how lovely
I want to explore this "mood as way of seeing" more

sus

@Corpsey he's talking about you

There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream
The earth, and every common sight,
To me did seem
Apparelled in celestial light,
The glory and the freshness of a dream.
It is not now as it has been of yore;-
Turn wheresoe'er I may,
By night or day,
The things which I have seen I now can see no more.
It's been a bit since I've read Orlando but this is partly what that book's about too, yeah?

sus

Interesting that this Prelude passage is basically the literary equiv of CDF's Wanderer in Sea of Fog

jenks

thread death
I suppose we can allow Coleridge in here too? I am very fond of Frost At Midnight. I like the way it starts by looking at his son sleeping and then shifts back to his own childhood before swooping into a glorious riff on the future, his son and nature. It seems to encapsulate the best of Romanticism in one poem - he plays with metre, sometimes tightly controlled and other times long and loose. I think it’s a very tender and hopeful poem. One of my favourites.