Listen to this you knobheads

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
As soon as 'rawness' becomes something you have to consciously add it becomes completely inadmissible as an aesthetic decision.

Is that really the case, though? Part of jungle's decline after 94-95 was the amen break becoming a default template. @Matthew wrote about this somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I love the amen to death, but listen to something like edge of darkness - come together (remix) and the break is haphazardly integrated, it creates this weird not quite human, not quite sequencer rhythm, because the break used is much harder to streamline. Amen is basically all in the highs which makes it amenable to chopping and why jungle can coincidentally sound quite egyptian at times.

luka

Is that really the case, though? Part of jungle's decline after 94-95 was the amen break becoming a default template. @Matthew wrote about this somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I love the amen to death, but listen to something like edge of darkness - come together (remix) and the break is haphazardly integrated, it creates this weird not quite human, not quite sequencer rhythm, because the break used is much harder to streamline. Amen is basically all in the highs which makes it amenable to chopping and why jungle can coincidentally sound quite egyptian at times.

Jungle got rubbish at that point but explain to me again what yore objecting to if you don't mind

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's been etherealised and dematerialised to an unprecedented degree but it's not anti-dissensus music we are allowed to embrace it

Surely though if I took that logic to its limit we'd all be allowed to like Sade and Lonnie Liston Smith?

In terms of garage and ambient jungle, the precisely interesting bits are when the ruff and da smoov collide. Otherwise whilst I really like 4x4 UK garage (house) as a music its not very interesting relatively to New York garage, just a bit of a variation with more of a dub bass. And as we know ambient dnb became mostly irredeemable coffeetable cack by 97.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Jungle got rubbish at that point but explain to me again what yore objecting to if you don't mind

I'm not in the mood for the inquisitive pasty-faced child on too many smarties tonight Lucius, read what I wrote carefully.

But tl;dr In some senses the amen is precisely rawer because it's easier to layer compared to other breakbeats.

Rawness can become a cliche through overuse, not through aesthetic direction.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's not so much that the critics don't care, it's now we're (those who like ramshackle music) in the discerning minority. We are against the critics. The lee gamble stuff is a different scene entirely, much closer to 90s idm.

There's a lot of netlabel, bandcamp etc producers making music infinitely more inventive than Lee Gamble but they don't have the cachet to be profiled, or at least not in the same way. Whereas Lee Gamble is tailor-made for critics, in the same way that 90s Orbital or even Mouse on Mars were.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
That's in short my main objection to Dean Blunt. He's music for the restrained (but ultimately recuperated into the system) outsider, not the true barbarian outsider.

luka

All I was saying is once slickness is the default and rawness becomes something you have to paste over the top of what you've made, in the aerial pink vein it becomes spurious

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Suboptimal and/or obsolete aesthetics itself becomes an artistic move. Not sure how widely thats used in the kind of hauntological sense Fisher was getting at.