Listen to this you knobheads

luka

Suboptimal and/or obsolete aesthetics itself becomes an artistic move. Not sure how widely thats used in the kind of hauntological sense Fisher was getting at.
You had it with the 'lo-fi' stuff in the '90s. And Fisher talks about it relation to the 'hauntology' which was really something he invented and has no musical merit

luka

It's more like a series of fairground mirrors that distort our reflection in all sorts of fun and hilarious ways

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Does that mean its largely just a gimmick, to be enjoyed at face value and then forgotten, or is it used in more serious ways?

luka

Serious fun. Play, as the most serious business in the world. Ludic universe, God playing God playing God playing

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Serious fun. Play, as the most serious business in the world. Ludic universe, God playing God playing God playing
Sure, I see your point there. I guess I was asking more whether or not it is used artfully, which needn't be serious I suppose.

luka

You have a field of play and you are within that field of play experimenting, trying this or that vocal tone seeing what really does something

luka

A drug is the same. The first time you take a drug it's usually not that notable. You have to learn how to use it. How to operate within these parameters, with that set of altered possibilities

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's precisely jungle's reliance on outdated technology (outdated music technology) which made it futuristic. That was an aesthetic choice, whether you want to say it was due to material constraints is another issue.

luka

I remember seeing art ensemble of Chicago, in a bit if a weird state and Roscoe Mitchell done some thing, hit some frequency that felt like it entered right into my brain and reconfigured it. A frequency that cut through all the cerebral muck. This is what the autotune often gives you. These frequencies that cut through in startling and dramatic ways

constant escape

winter withered, warm
And for all I know it could even literally be a matter of certain frequencies prompting this or that neurophysiological response, and not just a figurative thing.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
same with a lot of detroit techno as well, the dx7 was already outdated by 1988.

I agree with @mvuent that rawness vs cleanliness are always aesthetic choices.