Mojo Magazine's 100 Greatest Albums Of All Time

DannyL

Wild Horses
it takes courage to remain open and curious and have some vitality, especially as you approach middle age when it gets extremely difficult to not look like a wayward nonce. I respect the risks taken in resisting this pressure to be dignified and know your place. there's other changes too of course, but social pressure and peer group and identity is a big one

it takes courage to remain open and curious and have some vitality, especially as you approach middle age when it gets extremely difficult to not look like a wayward nonce. I respect the risks taken in resisting this pressure to be dignified and know your place. there's other changes too of course, but social pressure and peer group and identity is a big one
Sort of feels like you're invoking the fear as you denounce it though. Don't do that! "You'll look like a nonce!". Tee hee. I hate that shit. I still listen to rap 'cos I like it, and it's the continuation of a 30 year long fascination. IDGAF about how it looks. Id be amazed if anyone actually gave a shit.

DannyL

Wild Horses
People close themselves off from liking stuff, don't they. I do it of course, you close your sympathies off, strangle them in the cradle, I'm not the sort of person who likes this, that would entail a personality shift, new clothes, new friends.

This is also a (for want of a better word?) political thing, in that some people would feel that because mojo didn't include more diverse music than this all the stuff in this top 100 is condemned by association as being shit. And then you've got the reverse mojo feeling of "they're just ticking diversity boxes here, this really isn't good music".

Nobody can be right or wrong, our motives and sensibilities are never "pure". Which only really matters when you're arguing about music on the internet.
Was thinking about this earlier, about how out of tune these lists seem with life. And I guess that's 'cos we listen to music in a very different way that's often quite asynchronous, that's much more bound up with relationships, life experiences and so on. If we're lucky we catch a contemporary musical moment might be in tune with us and our lives - I know a few of you lived through jungle. I've been around on and off for different points in rave and rap. In relation to these kind of lists, I mean we might go back and revist the canon, listen our way through but life takes us different ways. When I think of how I've lived with music, it seems that I've lived through different moments and obsessions and say, being round Idle Rich's banged out my mind on plant food while he played me Baris Manco or whatever, is much more important than which Rolling Stones LP is higher in the rankings.

This seems fairly trite and obvious now I've written it but I had to get it out of my head.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, it's my main point of difference with that list. Not heard much Dylan or Springstein either. Only Dylan I've heard is Highway 61, the only Springstein is E Street Shuffle or whatever its called.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I like Highway 61.The canonisation always put me off though. More chance of me listening to him than most of the rest of that list. I had Blood on the Tracks for ages and managed never to listen to it.

luka

I like Highway 61.The canonisation always put me off though. More chance of me listening to him than most of the rest of that list. I had Blood on the Tracks for ages and managed never to listen to it.
Did you listen to lethal b?