Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Amazing that someone would watch that batman film and think "how great would a penguin spin off be?!'

CATWOMAN SPIN OFF SO I CAN GAWP AT ZOE KRAVITZ'S FACE

sus

You dont understand the archetypal structure that makes it tick, you didnt read my thread so you didnt understand it. Stupid is as stupid does

linebaugh

I don't want to get into a discussion about it

Although I'd be interested to read a defence of it I suppose

I'd think "I'll stick that on"
Its like oppenheimer in that its accidentally avant garde albeit for different reasons. Its really just so absurd and the circumstances that caused it to come into being are so spectacular yku could call it historical. In every other universe tenet does not get made

• Haha
Reactions: sus

kid charlemagne

concerning fincher and the batman film. i found that film and the people who loved it frustrating, a problem i have with many new films these days and their self proclaimed "inspirations". when the trailer dropped, and then when the film released, people were going crazy how it looked "inspired by" chinatown, se7en, and zodiac, two fincher films, and like.... fuck off i dont care. hate being reminded of films ive already seen and love. oh its inspired by chinatown and zodiac? fuck you why should i not just go rewatch those films. its ok to be influenced and use those influences, and even make them known, but people make it so blatant and act like theyre scoring points with that shit.

Ian Scuffling

I think it's intellectually lazy, certainly a symptom of A24 culture wherein people can only describe films through their stylistic predecessors whether it's actually drawing from them, or doing so seriously and honestly, or not. I definitely agree with the impulse to just go back and rewatch the cited influences. This phenomenon to me evinces a culture of "democratized" criticism wherein letterboxd users act and think like they're educated critics without actually having done the legwork and learned the medium and its history inside and out as those classic and classically trained critics did.

luka

what do you think of the Gus school of criticism? i like it but i think it renders the thing analysed superfluous.

• Haha

version

theyll work it out i bet theyre not as thick as you keep telling me they are
tenor.gif

sus

Gus is such a strange reader. but at least he reads.

Why is my reading weird? How do you think other people read

your tendency is to rush to flatten the particular into the general, the concrete into the abstract, and thereby extract your 'themes.'
it reminds me of meeting a cousin of mine who's a writer in new york and she said to me
(i can't remember the exact words) "my work is about memory and loss"
i didn't say anything obviously but in my head i was thinking wtf

that's true, I do flatten the particular into the general
always searching for tendrils of text that elaborate the vines of my themes

luka

Gus, have you noticed a new defensiveness and prickliness with version now hes making his play for power? hes not the same easy going soul we all fell in love with. hes got something at stake. hes working on something. his path to power.