Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love the Three Amigos.

On the subject of Steve Martin, I've not seen most of his famous films (The Jerk, Roxanne, LA Story) but I caught the second half of Planes, Trains and Automobiles the other day which is a great movie more or less up to the closing scene – which is so terrible and saccharine it's perversely quite enjoyable to watch.

luka

Can't believe Craner told you you'll never find love. He really is a sadist and no mistake.

craner

Beast of Burden
On the subject of Steve Martin, I've not seen most of his famous films (The Jerk, Roxanne, LA Story) but I caught the second half of Planes, Trains and Automobiles the other day which is a great movie more or less up to the closing scene – which is so terrible and saccharine it's perversely quite enjoyable to watch.

Ffs. Without that scene the film has no point!

luka

Now to add insult to injury he's telling you you're media studies homework is not up to scratch

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

I admit this scene gets a lot better when you read it as Steve Martin's character never quite getting over his hatred of John Candy and seeing that this was a golden opportunity to rub his amazing life in the man's face.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's not the content of the scene I object to, nor to its character, but to the colour of its skin.

I mean, Cocoon, right, raises some really fascinating and fundamental questions about age, time, fate and the ethics of living a good life, but then it ruins all this by sending all the wrinklies up in a space ship where they can live forever. Planes, Trains and Automobiles basically fucks around for the whole film, dropping little clues to the ultimate emotional pay-off which comes like a kick in the face in the last five minutes.

I just had to scroll back through this thread to find this.

Now go and watch the film again.