luka

No! I didn't! The rest of it was true. Would John Eden take his kids to McDonald's? No! He'd give them a lecture about the Mclibel case. I was raised by John Eden.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nobody ever got hit by a butllet though (apart from that one episode where Howling Mad Murdoch was injured and that was the plot).
Yeah, I was going to say - there was always loads of explosions, bullets flying everywhere and whatnot, but nobody - not even the baddies - ever seemed to suffer so much as a scratch.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There was a thread on Twitter from an Englishman about Hollywood representations of 'normal middle class homes' point being they're all colossal mansions
Also sitcoms in the US... Friends, Seinfeld whatever they all good flats in central NY despite never doing anything. More recently you've got those things like Kevin Can Wait and Last Man Standing were you get an average to bad looking every man who gets to do fuck all and live in a big house with his beautiful wife - just the normal life that every workig man has.

woops

is not like other people
Also sitcoms in the US... Friends, Seinfeld whatever they all good flats in central NY despite never doing anything. More recently you've got those things like Kevin Can Wait and Last Man Standing were you get an average to bad looking every man who gets to do fuck all and live in a big house with his beautiful wife - just the normal life that every workig man has.
you just need to look at any UK sitcom to see that most people live in squalor, long tradition of this from steptoe through young ones/bottom to the present day

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
you just need to look at any UK sitcom to see that most people live in squalor, long tradition of this from steptoe through young ones/bottom to the present day
God, can you imagine Americans watching Bottom?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd love to psychoanalyse Luka. He wouldn't know it was me, I'd have a false beard on and sunglasses, pretending I'm blind. And a Viennese accent. And then I'd report back here.

woops

is not like other people
no i'm not i'm saying there was a window in the 70s where directors had more control than the studio system for a while but what do i know

IdleRich

IdleRich
both, i think. but the 70s had the auteur directors, coppola, kubrick whoever
Yeah but the narrative of Raging Bulls etc is that cos of Heaven's Gate and a few other films auteurs were seen as too much of a risk and the studio curbed them despite the success (almost failures) of Godfather etc so it moved to a more kinda democratic or rule by committee type process without one artistic person who didn't care about the bottom line more than everything else, having massive power. Later on it probably moved further from the studios to their backers and investors, I dunno.

luka

It's just a way to explain why you get grown up movies in the 70s and only kiddy movies in the eighties,

IdleRich

IdleRich
no i'm not i'm saying there was a window in the 70s where directors had more control than the studio system for a while but what do i know
Sorry I see what you mean. I think in the 70s you got those auteurs Kubrick, Cimino whatever and sometimes they made profitable masterpieces but sometimes they fucked up and afterwards the studios decided to concentrate on guaranteed money makers and curbed the excesses of the geniuses.
Before the seventies, I dunno, you had all Charlie Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks etc forming their own studios so there was artist power but I think it took on a different form in the 70s maybe.

woops

is not like other people
the key actor to look at if you want to watch this development is jack nicholson.
8e40b09f9266e59100896d6ea92d00cc.jpg

1610555823006.jpeg
images

he tried directing a sequel to Chinatown himself which just shows that the era of the auteur was over - Nicholson was clearly not one and this film deserves a place in the Bottom 5 of All Time. His best one for my money is 5 Easy Pieces, that could only ever have been made in the 70s

woops

is not like other people
could only ever have been made in the 70s
and that's 'cos it's about a macho misanthrope, not a rebel without a cause or an action hero or a psycho but an (apparently) intelligent man who repeatedly rejects polite society. there must be a name for this kind of flick