thirdform

pass the sick bucket
im not really into any of them tbh. i do like tommy lee actually. but i was never into kartel really either so no surprise i dont like his children

Kartal I can appreciate formally. With Skillabeng and crew it just blurs into an undifferentiated mush after a while. The actress of dancehall, if I wanted to be uncharitable. I don't understand how you are supposed to decide one is a hit and one isn't. Certainly youtube and spotify don't allow you to gauge that, but neither is there really a hub like radio to create that kind of shared consciousness. There's not really a personality, a gruff geezer voice to hook onto.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
which like fine, call me a prick, I don't care, but when your approach is look at this spotify playlist, you can only say that militancy, hype etc are corny in todays climate through treating music like that. There's nothing for me to hook onto there, its not even me being a sceptic. I like Alkaline for instance but there's nothing to engage with there. If that's the price of being an annoying prick, then yes sure.

Anyway. paging out of here until the discussion revolves to something more interesting.

Benny Bunter

I think I mentioned this on here before somewhere, AFAIK (and I might be wrong) you're still not getting references to tranquilizing drugs like Xanax etc in dancehall as you do in US rap- it's still all weed and coke, although interestingly I have been noticing more ecstacy references, such as that Skeng track Pop Molly that I just posted - they're usually sex tracks.

Benny Bunter

Love that Luxe Flame Riddim, it's almost got a 2step garage feel to it. And shows another side to Sparta away from the growling psycho horrorcore stuff.

luka

I think I mentioned this on here before somewhere, AFAIK (and I might be wrong) you're still not getting references to tranquilizing drugs like Xanax etc in dancehall as you do in US rap- it's still all weed and coke, although interestingly I have been noticing more ecstacy references, such as that Skeng track Pop Molly that I just posted - they're usually sex tracks.
the great thing about the theory is that no any one person needs to do the drugs to be affected by them.

Benny Bunter

Yeah that makes sense. Trap's massive in Jamaica so even if they're not doing exactly the same drugs, it's going to affect to the music anyway. Plus, I'd imagine reliance on antidepressants is probably a growing problem in Jamaican society just as it is globally.

Benny Bunter

Good description of Skeng's voice -

"Looking up from the ocean floor to see ripples overlapping on the water’s surface above you- that’s how Skeng sounds to me with his stacked layers of undulating Auto-Tune."

luka

and so much of it still stuck in the Emotional Universe of Drake, sat alone in the corner with a comedy goblet, wallowing in self-pity

luka

it's interesting to compare this list to Barty's main rival for Simon's love (and inheritance money)
Barty's list has the advantage of being actual music rather than dweeb-memes but the disadvantage of being really, really boring
and all sounding exactly the same.

luka

everyone in their generation who wants to write about music, @suspended thirdform etc faces the same problem. music has been cancelled. music, like reality is now generated by algorithim. we've been shunted onto the simulation. the only thing you can really do thats interesting and worthwhile is to closely analyse and interpret what is there. theres nothing to champion but plenty to examine and understand.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sus

Leo

it's interesting to compare this list to Barty's main rival for Simon's love (and inheritance money)

"When I went home to California after I graduated college in May, Dry Cleaning’s New Long Leg was the only album my parents wanted to play in the car. It became a household meme. 'Dry Cleaning, again?' I sighed, more than once."

• Haha

luka

in a juicy bit of court intrigue Barty tells me KPR has unfollowed him on twitter lol

• Haha