Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Depending on when @luka stacked his NYCCoin, he should either be able to claim it now, and get ~1.5 STX, or claim it in 12 days and get said amount.

luka

Edmund said today that toko doesnt really have enough money not to work for 20 years becuase he doesnt have any actual 'money' at all
just an amount of cryto tokens that will soon be without value and can't be redeemed for real currency in any case. is this true? is it impossible
to cash out?

• Haha
Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I don't know anything about the allegations of NFT copyright infringement though, although I expect that many people have tried this.

I do know there have been many knockoffs of Cryptopunks.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Edmund said today that toko doesnt really have enough money not to work for 20 years becuase he doesnt have any actual 'money' at all
just an amount of cryto tokens that will soon be without value and can't be redeemed for real currency in any case. is this true? is it impossible
to cash out?
You need an account with identity verification in order to send the funds back to a bank account or a paypal account. Short of that, I don't know of a way to convert crypto to fiat, short of maybe peer-to-peer exchanges, which I have no experience with.

william_kent

I'm thinking about all those people who invested in "Second Life " real estate, and i might have pissed myself laughing

Reactions: Leo

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The sheer amount of FOMO in this space is arguably the central reason for the ongoing volatility. Plus, the investors' near total lack of understanding of the technology.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Even if you are kidding, I'm sure many people out there would sincerely agree with that. Most of the money in the US economy can't be held in hands.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Personally I don't have much faith in the prolonged cultural relevance and/or utility of virtual property, unless a significant portion of our economy moves into the virtual space, which I don't see reason for soon. I could be surprised, though.

william_kent

Is that any different from mulled wine from any other country?

personally if I'm going to drink wine it's going to be some untrendy Hock or "liebfraumilch", but I sort of understand that is just not done in some circles...

toko

to cash out?
who? a good chunk is cashed out into stablecoins so my wealth isn't totally really subject to the volatility of prices. i just would use a credit/atm provider like crypto.com which I can pay via stables or crypto directly. if this is a joke i aplogize. if not, I question Edmunds's intelligence.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah the whole cashoutability may not remain so critical a factor for long, what with the various credit/debit/hybrid cards being rolled out by crypto exchanges and lending platforms.

toko

stuff like this makes me realise all the people in this space are dorks

does Web3 stuff go in here? found the replies to this tweet pretty interesting

despite my love for the space it's obvious that it is an incredible echo-chamber. the people who truly understand the tech are also usually those who want it to succeed, (both for monetary and ideological reasons). Thus either critique is incredibly off the mark, or it doesn't go far enough because the writer is incentivized not to be so critical. But this is standard fare for any new technology and not specific to crypto. What is more interesting is how within the space (especially in NFT space) the immediate monetizability of clout leads to the propagation of dogmatic out-of-touch beliefs. In a space where valuation is incredibly memetic, social capital becomes incredibly easy and profitable to monetize. this leads to a kind of clout farming where ideologue's/appointed cheerleaders spew brain-dead self-masturbatory takes that appeal to people's psychological desire to be part of a "movement." They can then monetize their increased social capital to acquire more capital. i.e monetize clout by shilling some shitcoin/NFTproject.

In principle, there is nothing wrong with producing content so that one can later monetize their increased social capital. But when you farm engagement and clout by posting takes that targets people's in-group bias, and desire to be part of the "next thing," you make the space look horrible and lower the level of discourse.

Last edited: