WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
“Postcard from the cryptosphere”

Simon Denny, Centralized vs Decentralized Conway’s Game of Life Box Lid Overprint: Twists & Turns. 2018, UV print on Twists & Turns Game of Life box lid. 15 1/2 × 20 3/4”. Courtesy of the artist and Galerie Buchholz, New York.

THERE IS A LACK OF IMAGINATION when it comes to metaphor. “I’ll shill my balls off for a lambo.” “Every time I look at my charting I get a chub.” “there’s no way I’m buying a green dildo like that.” “XPR chart got me horny af.” “The moment people talk about $rose like that is the moment I’m dipping the bare ball sack even deeper!” “That buy wall at .7 is holdin us by our balls.” “longing ETH big dick style!”

Sometimes the market is a woman, or turns you into a woman: “whole crypto market acting like a girl on her period in these days smh.” “fuck price dropping. wtf are these women’s emotions i’m having, gotta get rid.” “If it goes to 4 dollars im gonna ape my wife and children in.” “BTC is playing with my emotions like that toxic ass girlfriend.” “$dreams scares me more than giving my credit card to my gf.”

The memes, too, lack ingenuity, offering recycled variations of Soyjak, Pepe, and the late Bogdanoff twins as puppet masters of the global markets (“He bought? Dump it.”). When the market pulls back, and crypto prices slump, a cascade of tweets link to the McDonald’s job application or a crying Wojak wearing a red cap stamped with the golden arches (“time to get a job boys”). Everyone is a bro, or a bruh, or a brah.

@HMGovt brah

luka

its not good for an economy to let people have money for nothing, or worse, money for good information

toko

guys I missed out on a free 80k because I didnt check my discord notifications because I got too high last night. I am not kidding. how do I cope with this.

toko

“Postcard from the cryptosphere”

Simon Denny, Centralized vs Decentralized Conway’s Game of Life Box Lid Overprint: Twists & Turns. 2018, UV print on Twists & Turns Game of Life box lid. 15 1/2 × 20 3/4”. Courtesy of the artist and Galerie Buchholz, New York.

THERE IS A LACK OF IMAGINATION when it comes to metaphor. “I’ll shill my balls off for a lambo.” “Every time I look at my charting I get a chub.” “there’s no way I’m buying a green dildo like that.” “XPR chart got me horny af.” “The moment people talk about $rose like that is the moment I’m dipping the bare ball sack even deeper!” “That buy wall at .7 is holdin us by our balls.” “longing ETH big dick style!”

Sometimes the market is a woman, or turns you into a woman: “whole crypto market acting like a girl on her period in these days smh.” “fuck price dropping. wtf are these women’s emotions i’m having, gotta get rid.” “If it goes to 4 dollars im gonna ape my wife and children in.” “BTC is playing with my emotions like that toxic ass girlfriend.” “$dreams scares me more than giving my credit card to my gf.”

The memes, too, lack ingenuity, offering recycled variations of Soyjak, Pepe, and the late Bogdanoff twins as puppet masters of the global markets (“He bought? Dump it.”). When the market pulls back, and crypto prices slump, a cascade of tweets link to the McDonald’s job application or a crying Wojak wearing a red cap stamped with the golden arches (“time to get a job boys”). Everyone is a bro, or a bruh, or a brah.

@HMGovt brah
"recycled" 4chan biz memes are probably some of the best. better then anything out of twitter.

toko

no, long story short wonderland (an olympus DAO fork) was doing a ragequit at around backing price because the market price went under backing, (if your familiar with Olympus DAO mechanics). easy way to make a quick buck, because backing is mostly in stablecoins. anyway anway, I've been planning on doing this for weeks, they dragged out the process by putting it through a vote and it kinda slipped my mind. the end result: the rage quit had a 72 hours window and I missed it by a couple hours

toko

probably the biggest blunder in nominal dollar terms, though I've had bigger percentage wise fucks ups before

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
no, long story short wonderland (an olympus DAO fork) was doing a ragequit at around backing price because the market price went under backing, (if your familiar with Olympus DAO mechanics). easy way to make a quick buck, because backing is mostly in stablecoins. anyway anway, I've been planning on doing this for weeks, they dragged out the process by putting it through a vote and it kinda slipped my mind. the end result: the rage quit had a 72 hours window and I missed it by a couple hours
Not familiar with Olympus. Ragequit? I just know it as a gaming term.

And Wonderland had that scandal with 0xSifu, no?

toko

yep. thats why the ragequit is happening. ragequit is basically the normative principle/design principle of being able to "leave" a protocol if one so desires, a byproduct of libertarian fantasy of voluntaryism. the idea is that you should be able to leave a protocol if you so desire, your funds should not be held hostage.

Olympus basically invented a new way for defi protocols to bootstrap liquidity. instead of paying out in native token they do whats called liquidity bonding. the dao gives out some future promise to x value amount of tokens and you, the user give the olympus token/eth LP share to the DAO. Basically the protocol ends up owning its liquidity rather then paying mercenary LP's to do via token rewards. this means that the DAO holds a certain amount of assets, of which the olympus token entitles you to a certain amount. So the backing price is just the number of assets held by the DAO/supply of tokens.

A ragequit in this context is basically a corporate raid, like they did in the 80s. Liquidate the company for all its worth and return value to shareholders. I did everything a good capitalist should do, and joined in the fun. unfortunately, as I said previously, i got high last night woke up late and forgot to actually participate in the ragequit/liquidation/looting of the DAO so I fucked myself.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Interesting, so ragequit as exit. In the patchwork of protocols.

Yeah bummer that you missed it, it sounds like a fascinating to participate in, yet alone profit from.

On an unrelated note, have you looked into Lobby3? Andrew Yang's new lobbying DAO? Perhaps the first crowdsourced lobbying organization, but I haven't verified that yet.

vimothy

yurp
"zero knowledge orwellianism" i like that. but I'm inclined to disagree here. imo hard sciences are in part hard because the subject under study does not change its behavior when being observed and theorized about. the problem with macro is that theory is inherently intertwined with broader political/social considerations because theory modifies behavior. that is to say, theory becomes socially/politically motivated insofar as it has behavioral implications, (even if value netural) in general any true proposition you make about the economy is way too contingent on other factors.
if macro becomes a "hard science", that implies that human freedom has disappeared

vimothy

yurp
ultimately macro is a category error in the form of an academic field, where we treat moral problems as engineering problems

vimothy

yurp
no equation can tell you how high interest rates should be in order to make ppl unemployed and therefore lower inflation, it's just not a mathematical problem at base

toko

i agree there is a normative component there. but in order to actually implement any normative goal you need a relatively usable model of how various economic indicators may relate to each other