vimothy

yurp
yeah the basis of the field is really modelling social welfare as a mathematical optimisation problem. so you can offshore difficult moral problems about the distribution of resources onto an apparently objective formal system.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I tend to think of discourses that rely, even imperfectly, on data and models as being at least soft sciences, maybe with some flimsy exceptions, but I could be convinced otherwise re: economics.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
In my mind, anything softer than soft science gets into the territory of philosophy. Still could be rigorous, just way more ambiguous.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
To be hard almost means epistemologically conservative, and soft almost means liberal, in terms of how far one is willing to stray in logic from what is intersubjectively obvious, i.e. relatively highly agreed upon and reproducible.

vimothy

yurp
I think soft sciences are generally academic fields where society is treated like a piece of technology, and I dont think that's the correct approach. you can look at these things in the way econ does, but you're fooling yourself into thinking that a formal model can provide the answers

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I think soft sciences are generally academic fields where society is treated like a piece of technology, and I dont think that's the correct approach. you can look at these things in the way econ does, but you're fooling yourself into thinking that a formal model can provide the answers
Yeah I agree, that the humanities often seem to employ an epistemology better suited to the physical systems of hard science.

Personally, and I suspect my opinion here could change drastically over time, I just don't think we are there yet, in terms of understanding psychological phenomena, and by extension human social and economic phenomena, in terms as hard as those in which we understand physical systems.

I think technology will help, i.e. more data and better data analysis, but I also think we will benefit from some number of future paradigm shifts in terms of how we approach the humanities.

I still suspect much of this boils down to how consciousness is a deep black box as far as hard science is concerned, and consciousness is a sort of supervenient bottleneck that is somewhat upstream from the humanities, insofar as the humanities are predicated upon consciousness as a phenomenon.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
We may not be far away from being able to use social media posts as collateral for loans. I'm watching a Defiant video on Lens Protocol, and this possibility was brought up.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I see you follow Lens protocol, have you looked into them much? Could be really interesting, an infrastructure for blockchain apps to integrate shared social data.

toko

no, i've seen it around I think but havent gotten to reading their documentation. looks cool though will check it out

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah I haven't heard of a stablecoin crashing to zero before, but maybe there have been other examples. Perhaps theres an argument to be made for cold-storage collateralization of these treasury-backed stablecoins, but here the problem seems to have been faulty protocol coding as far as the minting was concerned.

Fascinating stuff.