Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
New York City, Austin and Philadelphia are all doing due diligence now. NYCCoin already launched though.

Which is why I'm not too concerned about a second mover stealing the momentum. It's still a pretty obscure project, but it's picking up traction with city officials.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Its fascinating watching this project unfold in lieu of an established corporate hierarchy. We're not even a DAO yet, but the plans to form a DAO have been percolating for a couple months. My suggestion was that we create a transitory DAO to test out some possible governance tactics.

Also, there is one potentially problematic, but in any case worrisome, aspect of the protocol which dissuades exchanges from offering competitive APY for anyone holding citycoins in their custody. Its because the protocol's native form of passive income, rather confusingly called "stacking", has been providing higher yields than exchanges can offer. Because of this, there is a serious liquidity problem with MIA and NYC, but long-term I'm not worried. If it persists for another few months, then I might be.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Maybe "serious" is an overstatement, but I'd certainly prefer exchanges to have some basis for competition in terms of APY.

william_kent

from her profile page on forbes

1644485924197.png

I love this line in her forbes profile:

When she's not reverse-engineering black markets to think of better ways to combat fraud and cybercrime, she enjoys rapping and designing streetwear fashion

from BBC news story about $4 billion "bitcoin heist":
A criminal complaint alleges Lichtenstein and his wife, Heather Morgan, 31, laundered about 25,000 of the stolen Bitcoin through various accounts over the past five years and used various methods to cover their tracks, from fake identities to converting their Bitcoin into other digital currencies.

vimothy

yurp
It's extremely utopian -- but it's probably the most imaginative and non-dystopian vision for the future that I've seen in the last decade that might actually become a reality.
what makes you think it's non-dystopian? that is certainly not my impression

vimothy

yurp
The technology is really clever, but too many people get far too involved in wanking over how clever it is and forget that for the majority of applications it's basically just a slow, planet-destroyingly inefficient database.
clever in what sense? bc the second part of this sentence does not make it sound clever