The Life of a True Disciple of Hip Hop

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I've said this before, but drill is (and grime was) what UKHH people always said they want - indigenous UK mic music but now it's here they can't get on board

I mean tbf you could say that hardcore was that (as in britcore not rave) although most of it is too derivative of Rakim I'll give you that. But in 88-93 that made sense.

But after that wave petered out due to various reasons and politics UK rap became this overly histrionic whiteboy confessional nonsense. I'm not clear exactly how that happened, I guess because a lot of the britcore producers moved into hardcore/jungle (criminal minds, MC Duke) etc... And of course jungle was still tainted by house music for stoner Henry from Sussex.

luka

i dont listen to music any more but i dont understand that mach hommy thing at all. can you explain it to me?

luka

its not just him there seems to be hundreds of artists making that same record over and over again

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What are people's rap albums of the year anyway? Mine would have to be Mach Hommy "Pray for Haiti"

I haven't been listening to much new music but I can't get with mach-hommy, love the beats but there's too much wutang derivativeness but done in this hyped way, rather than the burnt out nonchalance of Roc Marciano. Needs more of that roasted at the equator post-nuclear apocalypse feel.

DannyL

Wild Horses
i dont listen to music any more but i dont understand that mach hommy thing at all. can you explain it to me?
Have you listened to it? It's just good rap, relatively classic NY template, lots of smart wordplay. Musically he seems to be using samples from Haitian music and news broadcasts referencing the country. Been a lot of big rappers of Haitian descent for a minute but he's the first (I think?) to foreground the country in this way. He references Haitan kreyol a lot and it makes it into the odd bar.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Definitely a hyped dude. I liked the fact he was selling exclusive vinyl copies of his early records for $300+ each. He's got a whole canny business persona in operation, but like Rza, now you mention it. Seems very thoughtful about his image and publicity, seems to be nurturing the hype.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
That's why I'm a Billy Woods fan, you can't say he's classic ny really. I tried to argue this with a mate into jpeg mafia. If you're going to go nerd go with a fourth dimensional intergalactic bolshie pyramid of a character. The curse of leftfield rap fans.

luka

the fugees were the first. i have listened to it, it does my head in! everyone raps solely for the purpse of annoying me nowadays as far as i can tell

DannyL

Wild Horses
Probably a lot easier for older dudes like me to "get" that Carti or RxkNephew I think. Surprised you can't get with it tbh.

DannyL

Wild Horses
That's why I'm a Billy Woods fan, you can't say he's classic ny really. I tried to argue this with a mate into jpeg mafia. If you're going to go nerd go with a fourth dimensional intergalactic bolshie pyramid of a character. The curse of leftfield rap fans.
Woods has an NY voice and delivery to my ears anyway, if not lyrically. Brass would be my other album of the year (came out late Dec, just missed all the year end lists)

DannyL

Wild Horses
the fugees were the first. i have listened to it, it does my head in! everyone raps solely for the purpse of annoying me nowadays as far as i can tell
This is your ongoing midlife crisis speaking. Be like me and embrace new rap as we can't afford sports cars and 18 year old girlfriends.

luka

Probably a lot easier for older dudes like me to "get" that Carti or RxkNephew I think. Surprised you can't get with it tbh.
its the specific roc marciano/mobb deep derived long run on, off beat lines that do my head in. theyre everywhere now. i find them very jarring

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Also it helps that he sounds like this big burley hobo with a very pronounced classic Queens-esque accent. But there's a lot of deconstruction (hate that term) of the 90s rap template. Very sardonic.

DannyL

Wild Horses
its the specific roc marciano/mobb deep derived long run on, off beat lines that do my head in. theyre everywhere now. i find them very jarring
You'll fucking hate Papi and Neph then. The whole style is deliberately offbeat, with added shouting.