The Life of a True Disciple of Hip Hop

DannyL

Wild Horses
Reminds me of Lil B's stream of consciousness. It sounds like he's recorded each line separately which must be really fucking weird in the studio in terms of flow but I guess its probably just mixed like that

luka

i was just using it becasue its the most generic example i could find of that specific flow that does my head in and that i associate mach hommy with

DannyL

Wild Horses
I mean he rewinds and redoes the first decent line straight away. I'm listening to it again though. Okay but not great.

forclosure

i dont listen to music any more but i dont understand that mach hommy thing at all. can you explain it to me?
not sure you really can his music and approach is something you kind of have to embrace on its own terms

but its alot of it has to do with his identity of bein Haitian American and his connection back to Haiti and all their in through street shit

DannyL

Wild Horses
not sure you really can his music and approach is something you kind of have to embrace on its own terms

but its alot of it has to do with his identity of bein Haitian American and his connection back to Haiti and all their in through street shit
It's very interesting if you consider Hait's place in the world. The ultimate underdog. But so many big rappers have been of Haitian descent lately - Future, Thug, 21 Savage.

forclosure

I rate how fucking mental this is. All over the shop.
i'm not into these guys as much as other people i know, some of it comes off like comedy rap that i'm expected to take seriously just because its lil b inspiried and they have so much music on youtube

forclosure

its the specific roc marciano/mobb deep derived long run on, off beat lines that do my head in. theyre everywhere now. i find them very jarring
i mean rap as you know has been going in this direction for a long time it's managed to find a way to seep into corners that used to rebuke this kind of thing

i think you're too much of a DJ Premier "colour inside the lines" guy with this kind of rap which is funny cause i feel like if you go back to Group Home, those two have that kind of sloppiness and blunt force approach to rapping themselves, its just that neither of them wanted to be rappers in the first place lol

DannyL

Wild Horses
You mention comedy but that's what I like about that track - the tonal shifts and the randomness, it does really feel like a freestyle, like he didn't know what the fuck he was going to say before he opened his mouth. That's the similarity with Lil B I think.

DannyL

Wild Horses
At times that spontaneity leads to genius moments, at times it falls flat but at least its surprising. Whereas that Crimeapple track, I knew what he was going to say roughly before the song was half way through.

forclosure

You mention comedy but that's what I like about that track - the tonal shifts and the randomness, it does really feel like a freestyle, like he didn't know what the fuck he was going to say before he opened his mouth. That's the similarity with Lil B I think.
it does and yeah Lil B did pioneer that sort of off the cuff surrealist thing with his "based freestyles" i think the difference between Nephew and Lil B as mentioned before is B radiated positivity whereas Nephew is just ongoing nihilism.

Also it kinda bugs me how they just use "that" flow over and over after 2 songs it feels like you're walking through the same plot of land over and over

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah fair comment. The only one I've listened to all way through is Crack Dreams 2 and I don't think he varies it much.