The Life of a True Disciple of Hip Hop

forclosure

this is exactly what i am saying about mach hommy et al
see Hommy does change it up if anything compared to some of his previous songs i'd say he's rapping in a more direct fashion compared to HBO or the first album he did with Muggs but i feel this complaint is more applicable to say Fly Anakin & Koncept Jackson who have made songs i like but at a certain point it does feel like they have "a flow" and don't deviate from that.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I also like how coded it is - it takes it's name from a video of Lil Reese getting jumped where he apparently shat himself. He goes on about it in the song as well as other Lil Reese "greatest hits". i like that weird interplay with Youtube culture, gossip etc. The engagement with the disposable current moment.

forclosure

also Hommy i gravitated two because his style of rapping was more distinct and actually requires the listener to focus and do leg work in terms of his refferences and turn of phrase compared to say Benny the Butcher.

Can't think of many other rappers who could say talk about how's so much out your league make refferences to Santeriea drop in some Creole and then near the end of his verse compare you to Tigger from Winnie the poo while making deadpan boing noises to emphasis the joke lol

forclosure

I also like how coded it is - it takes it's name from a video of Lil Reese getting jumped where he apparently shat himself. He goes on about it in the song as well as other Lil Reese "greatest hits". i like that weird interplay with Youtube culture, gossip etc. The engagement with the disposable current moment.
Taking something that is offensive or could be seen as being offensive and using it as a way to get viral

see also the one track where he disses the producer and his beat while rapping over it

forclosure

That's why I'm a Billy Woods fan, you can't say he's classic ny really. I tried to argue this with a mate into jpeg mafia. If you're going to go nerd go with a fourth dimensional intergalactic bolshie pyramid of a character. The curse of leftfield rap fans.
i feel like you'd be more of an elucid fan, third

Every egg i cracked today was double yolked and Valley of Grace seem right up your street @thirdform

Jpeg(i refuse to call him peggy) is really a one dimensional rapper, he's just reusing old young thug and migos flows if there's any thing that's "innovative" about him its his beats and that's cause the people who really like him look to rap only for "innovation" in terms of production and aesthetics.

forclosure

So @WebEschatology what are your Year End faves?
i'll have to think certain things i did want to check i passed on when they came out but i'll see if i can suggest you anything to listen to

Was never good at this Year End list shit, don't know how people who aren't music writers keep putting themselves through the ball ache of doing it

DannyL

Wild Horses
i feel like you'd be more of an elucid fan, third

Every egg i cracked today was double yolked and Valley of Grace seem right up your street @thirdform

Jpeg(i refuse to call him peggy) is really a one dimensional rapper, he's just reusing old young thug and migos flows if there's any thing that's "innovative" about him its his beats and that's cause the people who really like him look to rap only for "innovation" in terms of production and aesthetics.
I feel like people who go on about innovation in rap never listen to Keef either 'cos he's too fucking gangster, yet has some of the most mindblowing beats out there.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
It can be an interesting exercise but I think that if I were to do one to publish no way I'd confine it to new stuff. Lost classics, Youtube clips etc etc would all get a way in. I got more excited about that a random drop of old Keef songs that most new albums.

forclosure

I feel like people who go on about innovation in rap never listen to Keef either 'cos he's too fucking gangster, yet has some of the most mindblwoing beats out there.
and this is exactly the how and why people end up listening to bladee who dresses like an overgrown baby

woops

is not like other people
It can be an interesting exercise but I think that if I were to do one to publish no way I'd confine it to new stuff. Lost classics, Youtube clips etc etc would all get a way in. I got more excited about that a random drop of old Keef songs that most new albums.
sounds like it's time for a dan 100 tunes thread then. and CRIMEAPPLE wasn't the kind of blonde i had in mind to give luke a fresh outlook on life.