forclosure

i like this too very impressive amount of lyrics and delivery.one thing i'd say is when that indian-sounding beat comes on the guy chic raw? doesn't seem to sit quite right on it but when the next & tighter beat comes in he's right in there.
Chic is the light skinned breh, i like him but he's like your prototypical philly rapper harsh shouted raps about all the ways he'll shoot you

catalog

alright this time around @catalog collaborations between rappers you wouldn't expect

i love gucci mane. love his voice and the pace of his flow. the subject matter/actual words are probably a bit juvenile for me, but remember i'm 41 now, i'm no young lad out on the streets. i am perhaps unusual/sacrilegious in thinking the Salem dubs of gucci were better than the originals and broadly speaking, i could never listen to a whole album, it becomes very boring and interminable. but the odd tune here and there i really like. gucci is a massive touchstone for eg harmony korine so i've been into him a while.

not sure about taleb kweli on here, i never really had much time for him (preferred mos def) and it doesn't seem to fit too great, totally throws off the nice narcotic feeling gucci has developed. i don't think the contrast works so well. plus it's literally a single solitry verse, in the middle. odd.

i never heard that bonneville one but i love keith, always have. again something to do with the precise cadence in his voice. he's well talented too, there's an unexpected quality to some of his words. not so sure about all the sex obsession stuff, it's funny for a tune or two, gets a bit old. i love ultramagnetic mcs a lot, that critical beatdown album is brilliant, every tune on it is gold. it's an all time classic.

this tune... i like the beat, keith's bits, not so sure about the other lads on the chorus. again, maybe an issue with pacing - seem smashed together but the contrast doesn't work so well. i think for collabs to work well, there needs to be a combo moment eg they all get together on a verse, echo one another or something.

having said that, the one verse by the other guy is really good. i would put this on a mix. the gucci is good but this is the better one of the pair.

woops

is not like other people
i love gucci mane. love his voice and the pace of his flow. the subject matter/actual words are probably a bit juvenile for me, but remember i'm 41 now, i'm no young lad out on the streets. i am perhaps unusual/sacrilegious in thinking the Salem dubs of gucci were better than the originals and broadly speaking, i could never listen to a whole album, it becomes very boring and interminable. but the odd tune here and there i really like. gucci is a massive touchstone for eg harmony korine so i've been into him a while.

not sure about taleb kweli on here, i never really had much time for him (preferred mos def) and it doesn't seem to fit too great, totally throws off the nice narcotic feeling gucci has developed. i don't think the contrast works so well. plus it's literally a single solitry verse, in the middle. odd.

i never heard that bonneville one but i love keith, always have. again something to do with the precise cadence in his voice. he's well talented too, there's an unexpected quality to some of his words. not so sure about all the sex obsession stuff, it's funny for a tune or two, gets a bit old. i love ultramagnetic mcs a lot, that critical beatdown album is brilliant, every tune on it is gold. it's an all time classic.

this tune... i like the beat, keith's bits, not so sure about the other lads on the chorus. again, maybe an issue with pacing - seem smashed together but the contrast doesn't work so well. i think for collabs to work well, there needs to be a combo moment eg they all get together on a verse, echo one another or something.

having said that, the one verse by the other guy is really good. i would put this on a mix. the gucci is good but this is the better one of the pair.
"something" has inspired @catalog to make longer and more detailed & engaged commentaries

forclosure

web eschatology give us your talib kweli opinons
its fascinating the way he's gone from being held up as something of a benchmark in regards to rappers who address "real issues" and topics of "substance",one of the guys who defined the distinction between rapper/MC back when that was still deemed important,to now utterly reviled by so many people in my lifetime. that's not to say that he didn't have his naysayers and dislikers but they've kinda become engulfed under the people who now swear that they always thought he was the weak link in Blackstar and skipped his verses.

As far as his music i mean, i'll always like "The Blast" but that's because of Hi-Tek's watery beat rather than him, i remember liking Gorilla Monsoon rap but its been years and again black thought and pharoahe monch are on it and they wipe the floor with him, i do think peoples issues with him as a rapper have been overstated (raps offbeat,tries to stuff too many words into the bar,weak voice) especially when you compare him to certain rappers of his era but if you've never heard any of the anticon guys or El-P then yeah he sounds like the most offbeat rapper ever.

He's appeared on songs that i've liked and hell its through him how i got introduced to Jean Grae(through MTV's made of all things) but its very obvious that cause of how thin his voice is why he avoided Lex Luger beats when they erupted altogether he'd get submurged under them

forclosure

@catalog i know some people who swear by Salem's influence on music over the last decade (i agree but i wish any of it was on music that i actually liked) but i think it's fucking criminal that you think those are better than the original Zay beats,next you'll be telling me that Diplo gucci mane remix mixtape thing is actually underrated

not only that but HARMONY KORINE? jesus H man

forclosure

the other guy on the Keith track is bay area rap legend Mac Mall (he's one of the rappers he name drops on "Plastic world" (In fact I pack my bags, and listened to E-40,Mac Mall, C-Bo, and other rappers you don't know) Its funny to me how this idea that the First Come,First served cover was a jab at Pen & Pixel and the covers they did for No Limit/Cash Money yet he's been on record more than once as being a fan of those rappers.

Most gucci mane acolytes would agree that even on his best albums their a few duds but he's a very modern kind of rap legend where he has such a massive mark on rappers and rap at large without that front to back classic to his name and and that's fine cause he's got enough good songs to last

Last edited:

catalog

i was once royally obsessed with harmony korine. i'm less so nowadays, couldn't finish that last film he did (beach bum) but certain things he's done (gummo, crackup at race riots, julien donkey boy, trash humpers) i love

forclosure

i was once royally obsessed with harmony korine. i'm less so nowadays, couldn't finish that last film he did (beach bum) but certain things he's done (gummo, crackup at race riots, julien donkey boy, trash humpers) i love

this is surprisingly charming, not enough to make me wanna check his stuff but i like it

forclosure

see @catalog i beg to differ i think the album that Bonneville is off shows how good Keith is as a collaboration guy not only that but how he can easily gel with a range of rappers some who you'd expect (Godfather Don,Necro) to others who you wouldn't think would work (Mall as mentioned before but also Slug from Atmosphere)

If there's any rapper i feel like that doesn't gel with Keith it's MF DOOM

catalog

I mean quite possibly.

Like I say I do like Keith, used to listen to that Dr octagonologist one a lot, but never really kept up to date with him. I would probably like all his collabs.

And I do prefer the Keith one to the gucci one