catalog

also hopefully for the only time gonna break my rules and add a 3rd track, here's Jermaine Dupri, Snoop Dogg and Warren G over a DJ Premier beat
I think this is the best of the 3 you posted, both in terms of how successful it is as a collab and just as a tune. The only thing I'm not very keen on is the beat, its a bit jazz funk but I like the fact its constant and how they play off it. Very tight track.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for snoop, I remember the video for what's my name being really big, the bit where he morphs into a dog.

Also I went to our price when it was released, I suppose it was '92? I was 12 and the guy said I couldn't buy it cos there was too much swearing, so I had to go for blood sugar sex magic by the red hot chilli Peppers which also had a warning sticker but not the classic parental advisory one.

I did really cane that album for a few years, particularly loved this one

But I often wonder how my life might have turned out different if I'd been allowed to buy doggy style.

There's just something I like about snoop, quite an unusual flow. I read that book "have gun will travel"(?) about death row records after all the tupac/biggie stuff. In retrospect, that sort of time is when I stopped paying much attention to hip hop. It was the height of it being something controversial I suppose, a lot of mess getting in the way of things.

Anyway, also always loved Warren G, shame he never made more classic tunes. His cameo on this is pretty good, nothing too memorable, bug again he's got that unique voice. I like whoever does the 2nd to last verse, about 3/4 of the way through. Is that Jermaine Dupri? Did he get in trouble recently?

Anyway good choice, I'd place this one in the top tier of the ones you've posted so far, somewhere alongside goody mob, freestyle fellowship, Johnson and Johnson, that 2nd philly freestyle.

luka

crowley was saying a lot of good songs ended up on soundtracks becasue the artists got paid more for the soundtrack sales than they would for their own releases. cant remember the details.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think this is the best of the 3 you posted, both in terms of how successful it is as a collab and just as a tune. The only thing I'm not very keen on is the beat, its a bit jazz funk but I like the fact its constant and how they play off it. Very tight track.

For DJ Premier beats to make sense you have to listen to them hacked and sliced about in the mix by the man himself. His WBLS thunderstorm tapes from '94 are great, way above Funkmaster Flex for me who can get a bit too obsessed with the cue scratch where it ends up being ''look at me, I'm fucking terrific am I not' except that its not very surgical.

That's my problem with turntablists in general though, the techniques themselves I love, most 90s album hh just doesn't sound the same without the fm radio compression and it being mutated in the mix, but that sort of post-2000 scratch dj culture is mostly irritating, and once the novelty factor disappears you're left thinking why on earth did I listen to this wasteman from Brighton?

catalog

i really liked that dj clue 'professional' mix but not checked any dj premier ones. will investigate.

woops

is not like other people
For DJ Premier beats to make sense you have to listen to them hacked and sliced about in the mix by the man himself. His WBLS thunderstorm tapes from '94 are great, way above Funkmaster Flex for me who can get a bit too obsessed with the cue scratch where it ends up being ''look at me, I'm fucking terrific am I not' except that its not very surgical.

That's my problem with turntablists in general though, the techniques themselves I love, most 90s album hh just doesn't sound the same without the fm radio compression and it being mutated in the mix, but that sort of post-2000 scratch dj culture is mostly irritating, and once the novelty factor disappears you're left thinking why on earth did I listen to this wasteman from Brighton?
are you up to speed with the killa kela podcasts interviewing all the scratch perverts @thirdform?

luka

There's a new mental illness out where people go round the city with huge speakers all day, grim faced men blasting out music at inconceivable volumes, mostly on bikes sometimes strapped to a sack cart/trolley
and one of them was playing mass appeal by Gangstarr and to hear it that loud, it was like a religious experience, it was awe inspiring and it reminded me of how magical a loop can be.

woops

is not like other people
predictable response but i enjoyed the tales and characters, background and aftermath of the era you just mentioned

catalog

got this on atm and its really good. i like the radio-ness of it. some good pauses/repetitions as well

forclosure

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for snoop, I remember the video for what's my name being really big, the bit where he morphs into a dog.

Also I went to our price when it was released, I suppose it was '92? I was 12 and the guy said I couldn't buy it cos there was too much swearing, so I had to go for blood sugar sex magic by the red hot chilli Peppers which also had a warning sticker but not the classic parental advisory one.

I did really cane that album for a few years, particularly loved this one

But I often wonder how my life might have turned out different if I'd been allowed to buy doggy style.

There's just something I like about snoop, quite an unusual flow. I read that book "have gun will travel"(?) about death row records after all the tupac/biggie stuff. In retrospect, that sort of time is when I stopped paying much attention to hip hop. It was the height of it being something controversial I suppose, a lot of mess getting in the way of things.

Anyway, also always loved Warren G, shame he never made more classic tunes. His cameo on this is pretty good, nothing too memorable, bug again he's got that unique voice. I like whoever does the 2nd to last verse, about 3/4 of the way through. Is that Jermaine Dupri? Did he get in trouble recently?

Anyway good choice, I'd place this one in the top tier of the ones you've posted so far, somewhere alongside goody mob, freestyle fellowship, Johnson and Johnson, that 2nd philly freestyle.
the last guy is R.O.C. who i don't think has done anything since this album

i tell you what if you was allowed to listen to doggy style over Blood sugar sex magick you'd have a better sense of what actual funk music is, instead of whatever the hell Anthony Keidis and dem man are doing

catalog

i really like this one (about 11 mins into the mix)
and all the live pull ups/edits he's doing on it. improvement on the song alone.

forclosure

as for Dupri i don't think he's gotten into any kind of trouble but i remember it seemed like a track between him and Curren$y was in the works

catalog

i tell you what if you was allowed to listen to doggy style over Blood sugar sex magick you'd have a better sense of what actual funk music is, instead of whatever the hell Anthony Keidis and dem man are doing
life was hard what can i say.
years later i was making some music with a guy who had the RHCP tattoo on his wrist.

y52914ev9rd11.jpg

wasn't a lasting collab.

but i do have a fondness still for them. And John Frusciante's solo stuff, which i found only recently, was impressive

forclosure

looking the episodes of this podcast @woops there's a few names i'd be interested in hearing but so many of this stuff reminds me of the old heavy on enthusiasm but patchy in terms of quality days of UK hip hop that maybe my uncle would be into hearing about but as for me i dunno lol

Its nice to see somebody gives a shit about all these 50 year old graffiti artists,Danny John Jules and....Example and the bloke out of Sleaford mods but i pass

woops

is not like other people
I'm not recommending them all, just the scratch perv ones, and even then not because of the quality of their music

forclosure

"turntabilism" suffers from the exact same problems as alot of those dreadful guitar virtuoso metal albums have and a similiar sort of appeal to

Fruciante (as much as i don't want to talk rock in here) is a really talented and varied guitarist i'll give him that but that lot fuck outta here and don't think bringing up that George Clinton producing one of their albums will change me even greats like George fuck up