catalog

oh look re that mix - yes sir.

DTRE Sizzurrup

7 years ago
Good lookin' out, sun! DJ Premier holdin' it down for 5th Ward Houston, TX, not far from where I reside. Can't believe it's been almost 20 years since this aired. What I noticed most is the way the record skips back a few times over certain phrases or segments of each track, which has been imitated but never duplicated..Ingenious precision!

forclosure

cat, once you get through the two tracks put your hands where my eyes can see in particular, i'll give you my thoughts on Busta and like i'm sorry but the idea that you hold busta in the same regards as Snow and Vanilla Ice is absurd and insulting

catalog

alright here's the next 2 tracks
There's actually a huge connection between Rhymes and Dean Blunt, cos Hype Williams directed a number of Busta videos...

But anyway this song. I dunno, it's got a great bassline ill give you that, love that crackle.

And when he first comes in, it's got a q-tip feel to me, that laconic delivery.

But then he starts doing all the rhymes with the -io/yo stem and like, yeah, it's clever, specially when he gets to "video", that he's sustained that for so long.

But it's also just a bit restricted and feels a bit repetitive?

Then the chorus. That's very poor, come on now.

And then the song doesn't really go anywhere else. It's sparse which I would normally like, and like I said, got a killer b-line, but it's very one dimensional and yes, a bit "novelty".

Like, I am reminded of the Hype Williams video era a lot when I listen to this song, but Busta to me is the worst of it. He's not as good as Missy Elliot, or Biggie. He's maybe on a level with Will Smith how about that? Only kidding.

Second one: I immediately like this a lot cos of:

1. Crew aspect with the call response and echoes.

2. It's using the same sample used by schoolly d who is one of the all time greats in my book.

Good fast chat. When Tupac comes in, wow. The range in his voice, that's present straightaway. He's got that gift of being able to sound like he's simply talking to you, sat on the seat beside you. I'm not a mega Tupac fan, but I been around enough people who love him to death (and proceed to explain that to me) and while I never listened to him much at the time, I do have more time for him now.

Definite winner of the pair no question.

catalog

Really enjoying this dj premier mix. Gives me a grime feel, the stitches in between the tracks and all the spins on particular lines, the scratches and so on, give it a "live" feel which is sometimes missing on the proper studio songs.

At certain points it's very audacious what he's doing, verging on an electro/dance feel.

DannyL

Wild Horses
looking the episodes of this podcast @woops there's a few names i'd be interested in hearing but so many of this stuff reminds me of the old heavy on enthusiasm but patchy in terms of quality days of UK hip hop that maybe my uncle would be into hearing about but as for me i dunno lol

Its nice to see somebody gives a shit about all these 50 year old graffiti artists,Danny John Jules and....Example and the bloke out of Sleaford mods but i pass
Those pods are great if you're into graf. It's behind the scenes stories to guys you saw up but never knew the details. I accept this is of limited interest but if you're in that demographic it's manna from heaven.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't think Kela is the best interviewer though he digresses terribly though maybe it's improved since last time I listened. He's been doing a few pieces - seen them pop up on the gram.

luka

i think they are comedy gold but if you dont have a feel for subcultures and little weird niche scenes its maybe not so much fun