Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
BTC can offer an alternative for reserves I suppose, but if US has majority hash power of the network, that could conceivably become grounds for geopolitical leverage.

toko

so really you think its impotent insofar as its utopian vision is doomed to fail given political realities. its not impotent insofar as it can be captured by the power that b if it tries to see adoption?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But ultimately it serves to prosthetically enhance us, even while continuing to invite novel challenges and threats.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
In that Adam Curtis series that @RWY just shared, I think there was a quote from Troksky where he said that technology will turn the average man into a Marx, a Goethe, etc.

toko

there's no tech solution to ppl, ppl will always be ppl
there is no tech solution to people, but hows this, tech can open new political possibilities and ways of social arranging ourselves. the tech is not sufficient sure but it can be what allows us to politically change.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Perpetually opening up novel avenues, which then involve novel obstacles. But the progression, if you zoom out far enough, in is inarguably profound.

Last edited:

toko

one of my favorite examples of this is in open source software. the internet did not change the fundamentals of our economic-political system -- but I think its much easier to imagine different economic systems in which labor is not so alienating because of the success of the model.

luka

there's no tech solution to ppl, ppl will always be ppl
isnt it funny how even 'debates' seemingly dependent on high levels of technical understanding and terminology always reduce down to the tritest of formulations

vimothy

yurp
ultimately the nature of the financial system is determined by institutional structures like banks and the overwhelming need for liquidity provision via the extension of credit, which are kind of ontologically prior to technological choices or contingencies, or even the particular asset which functions as money in any given market, and for whom such factors are essentially implementation details - like whether you use python or javascript when writing your website. these institutional structures and functional requirements predate the existence of fiat (by millenia) and will continue to exist long after it has gone.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
ultimately the nature of the financial system is determined by institutional structures like banks and the overwhelming need for liquidity provision via the extension of credit, which are kind of ontologically prior to technological choices or contingencies, or even the particular asset which functions as money in any given market, and for whom such factors are essentially implementation details - like whether you use python or javascript when writing your website. these institutional structures and functional requirements predate the existence of fiat (by millenia) and will continue to exist long after it has gone.
I mean in principle, you could still institute credit scores via on-chain data, and just enforce them off-chain. This might be how blockchain has to approach non-collateralized loans. Not sure, though.

vimothy

yurp
it doesn really matter, neither the blockchain nor bitcoin can prevent expansion of liquidity on demand, and in fact must provide it in order to support functional markets