100gecs

wektor

maybe me you and @wektor can find a crackhouse to pioneer this new step in digital music. We just need luke to be our sugar donor.
well this is just what we were talking about a few hours ago. audio generating neural nets usually tend to analyse/synthesise the sound in chunks which are not longer than a few seconds. as far as i understand, in self-regression every element comes out of the previous, but on some layer of abstraction it was still comprehended as autonomous.

wektor

yup, seen that. we should give it microsamples though, see what it does with them.
most sounds shorter than 50ms will sound like a click so I suppose the effect would be textural rather than rhythm in any coherent form
uncertain if tiktok is ready for horizontal listening

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
most sounds shorter than 50ms will sound like a click so I suppose the effect would be textural rather than rhythm in any coherent form
uncertain if tiktok is ready for horizontal listening

I was thinking more parmegiani, voice samples chopped up. into 500 ms chunks, maybe some animal noises, 3-4 seconds of some ungodly prog metal guitar solo, etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
give the tiktokkers mark fell on a bad acid trip with incoherent digitalised maniac yelling. like a digital version of this:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
zoomers have no idea yet how much spiritually aligned with speedcore they are

Yeah, we just need to push them to their limits. A bit like how the punks discovered Johnny Bournette and Bo Didley and realised they needed to go harder.

forclosure

I don't believe in the 100gecs project as an aesthetic roadmap. Yet it is undeniable that there is an innovation here, formally speaking. In that there is literally no music. What I mean by that is not kind of elitism or snobbery about proper music but this: that when you play 100gecs, what you are listening to is the musical equivalent of silence, as the brain struggles to adequately process silence, hence you can start to feel humming or constants of varying kinds in your brain when you meditate. This is where ambient has its failing, in that it can only really serve as background music, but it still ostensibly necessitates true listening to microtimbral variations. the technicians behind 100gecs are completely aware of this, being part of the hyperfocused internet generation without actually being 19 year old tiktokkers (same goes for ms. Polachek in some ways.) What 100gecs have perfected in this sense is ambient par excellence, despite the nu metal riffs, pitched up vocals, gabberised kicks, its all refracted through this disjointed mirror of half-dead sounds and subcultures (and by half dead here we are not speaking of nonexistent but with no material referant) by small town American kids. Whilst deconstructed club generally sounds achingly parodic to UK continuum ears because it corresponds to physical semiotics, 100gecs just abandons that entirely. You get songs but only inasmuch as they are discernably 100gecs, they don't operate within the economy of songcraft. But there's more: what is so fascinating about this is not the sound collage but that the sounds they appropriate bear the stigma of compression characteristically optimised for TV and computer speakers. It's definitely not a hoax, but they are not really operating in a discourse apparent to journalists with political commitments and sympathies. There is a deep nihilism there, which is afraid to be mentioned.

i mean the funny thing with this is, if you speak to certain people who knew Dylan Brady the guy in 100 gecs he's basically a classic chancer man was making imitation Travis Scott beats just keeping up with trends on soundcloud until the moment was right and now he's been hailed as this Phil Spector for the hyperpop crowd

no ideas of his own,everything cherrypicked from other producers its just that nobody within "the scene" is willing to call him out on it, he's an exquisite corpse if you wanna get fancy about it

woops

is not like other people
Dylan Brady the guy in 100 gecs he's basically a classic chancer man was making imitation Travis Scott beats just keeping up with trends on soundcloud until the moment was right and now he's been hailed as this Phil Spector for the hyperpop crowd

no ideas of his own,everything cherrypicked from other producers its just that nobody within "the scene" is willing to call him out on it, he's an exquisite corpse if you wanna get fancy about it
wish i'd thought of this Dylan B is probably a crypto millionaire by now.

forclosure

wish i'd thought of this Dylan B is probably a crypto millionaire by now.
i mean this approach worked out well for VICE who would've thought those guys doing "reports" on adult babies mixed with Johnny Ryan comics would make it to where they have a channel on Sky doing serious news about war conflicts lol

woops

is not like other people
i mean this approach worked out well for VICE who would've thought those guys doing "reports" on adult babies mixed with Johnny Ryan comics would make it to where they have a channel on Sky doing serious news about war conflicts lol
possibly not the very same guys though. without looking into it i'd assume they've gone through a few management reorganisations.

forclosure

possibly not the very same guys though. without looking into it i'd assume they've gone through a few management reorganisations.
they definitly have but it says something about them as a magazine and "brand" that the biggest impact they've had on culture at large is their former founder Gavin Mcinnes went and started the Proud Boys

woops

is not like other people
i agree 100% with both posts, however i used to think the mag was quite good/interesting in 99-00 having said that even then they were c***s printing letters people had sent them asking if they could write for the mag and taking the piss.