100gecs

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i mean the funny thing with this is, if you speak to certain people who knew Dylan Brady the guy in 100 gecs he's basically a classic chancer man was making imitation Travis Scott beats just keeping up with trends on soundcloud until the moment was right and now he's been hailed as this Phil Spector for the hyperpop crowd

no ideas of his own,everything cherrypicked from other producers its just that nobody within "the scene" is willing to call him out on it, he's an exquisite corpse if you wanna get fancy about it

Yeah. literally something you would hear on myspace circa 2008, just with more glitches. There is zero originality there musically. What they have tapped into is something else, the postmodern fear that all music has come to an end (an idea i disagree with, but it is a popular sentiment.)

shakahislop

i quite liked that one that starts with the line 'hey little piss baby'. in general quite like the super twisted up female vocals that they use on some of their stuff.

i don't know anyone in real life who would ever listen to anything like this. one thing i hear in them is a load of bad taste sonic signifiers, ie, a load of stuff that they must know is going to get people's backs up. the first term that reflexively comes to mind to describe a lot of their sound is 'shit'. i kind of wonder how much of their success is actually about people defining themselves as being for or against these kind of bad taste sounds. 'stupid horse' is a good example of what i mean.

it's not exactly the same, but i always thought both breakcore and gabba had a similar thing going on socially speaking. one of the joys of knowing about gabba is being able to put it on and know that almost everyone that hears it is going to both actively hate it and never have heard anything like it before.

sus

To be fair, good timing is half the reason any artist "of their moment" gets recognition. People get picked up for embodying something cultures looking for it's a very passive process. People sit around putting out content for decades and at some point their output and the culture intersect

linebaugh

I do hate that 'oh its just of the times' dismissal. Not specifically talking about you shaka take no offense.

I once had a friend tell me that fred armisen is 'lucky' to do his shtick in the time of hipsters i.e. 'this comedy only works because its TOPICAL'

wektor

People get picked up for embodying something cultures looking for it's a very passive process. People sit around putting out content for decades and at some point their output and the culture intersect
I would not say I know a lot of top musicians but your consideration seems to be missing out on the fact that case of people just doing their own thing for years and years in isolation is rather rare.
There is always cultural influence involved, more heavier since the Skrillex Screeching Bass Youtube tutorial era had started.
Even more so with /r/edmproduction or whatever other communities based around music making.

Reactions: sus

wektor

Moving to any major city in the western hemisphere is already a leap on its own in terms of recognition.
Anything but a passive process, that, in my opinion, more a work of the LA trash culture mafia.

wild greens

In my experience there are really only four scenarios, particularly in electronic stuff-

a) a regional (or internet) scene gathers enough momentum that a biggish media outlet or youtube channel picks up on it and it enters the frame. these are the organic ones that tend to have the most longevity as long as you don't try and go commercial
b) an artist with good pr manages to get themselves coverage by pulling favours or, more likely, spending decent money to plug things. this can also be the situation where their mate works on a magazine/aggregator and pulls favour to get them coverage
c) an influencer or personality co-opts a track and it's picked up accordingly
d) someone is quite attractive or visually striking, but not naturally popping off, and is groomed or planted to be placed inside an active scene. loads of rappers/mcs are like this. this is where your ghostwriter industry kicks in

100 gecs seems to me like a mixture of a & b but they're not really "big" are they

"the culture" is usually fed to you, people don't tend to arrive in it by accident

the only people who don't get noticed for decades and then are suddenly flavour of the month are weird auteurs who can be fabricated as outsider artists, or people who release records years ago that suddenly become vogue

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i quite liked that one that starts with the line 'hey little piss baby'. in general quite like the super twisted up female vocals that they use on some of their stuff.

i don't know anyone in real life who would ever listen to anything like this. one thing i hear in them is a load of bad taste sonic signifiers, ie, a load of stuff that they must know is going to get people's backs up. the first term that reflexively comes to mind to describe a lot of their sound is 'shit'. i kind of wonder how much of their success is actually about people defining themselves as being for or against these kind of bad taste sounds. 'stupid horse' is a good example of what i mean.

it's not exactly the same, but i always thought both breakcore and gabba had a similar thing going on socially speaking. one of the joys of knowing about gabba is being able to put it on and know that almost everyone that hears it is going to both actively hate it and never have heard anything like it before.

I think it's slightly different with 100gecs in this sense. With bad taste there is always an implication that it can be redeemed, that the kingdom of heaven is in sight.

Whereas 100gecs push these signifiers to their logical extreme that you can only enjoy this fully knowing its shit, not even 'so good its bad' but just 'bad.'

wild greens

You need a conduit to deliver you to different audiences. They might not necessarily be a fish at all

For an MC or singer In the UK paying a GRM daily style vehicle and getting All Ears or Hype to promo it to DJs does tend to work

An act in the guise of this 100gecs, i'm less sure these days but traditionally you would need RA/Fact/Dazed etc to cover you, then an agent to pick you up and place you onto the promoters or festivals they're in bed with

wild greens

it is a lot harder now to get a niche artist big, as there are so many fucking weirdos trying to be a big weirdo

the current hype influx of "new" producers here seem to be the young jungle lot to me, and that's been mostly tiktok. i have no idea how that one works to be honest

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You need a conduit to deliver you to different audiences. They might not necessarily be a fish at all

In the UK paying a GRM daily style vehicle and getting All Ears or Hype to promo it to DJs does tend to work

An act in the guise of this 100gecs, i'm less sure these days but traditionally you would need RA/Fact/Dazed etc to cover you, then an agent to pick you up and place you onto the promoters or festivals they're in bed with

Well, 100gecs don't suffer from that problem because hyperpop (in the UK at least) is basically made by the children of all upper bourgeois to knighted people. A. G. Cooke's dad is a sir, sophie's dad sold orange juice all to supermarkets, etc etc. What I find interesting about gecs is they don't have the revolting irony that the PC music crew do. it's just bad, not self-consciously, or at least, they can only be self-conscious of being bad, Dylan Brady doesn't have the ghetto fabulous awareness to make serious music.

wild greens

Well, 100gecs don't suffer from that problem because hyperpop (in the UK at least) is basically made by the children of all upper bourgeois to knighted people. A. G. Cooke's dad is a sir, sophie's dad sold orange juice all to supermarkets, etc etc. What I find interesting about gecs is they don't have the revolting irony that the PC music crew do. it's just bad, not self-consciously, or at least, they can only be self-conscious of being bad, Dylan Brady doesn't have the ghetto fabulous awareness to make serious music.

i hate to correct you as i appreciate the cynicism but they have gone down the dazed route

wild greens

In the ancient wilds of history dissensus and dubstepforum were also routes in

there are plenty of people who figured out the game from posting or lurking on here

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
PC music, Sophie, A.G. Cook, Hannah Diamond, all that lot required dazed, fact, pitchfork etc. 100gecs don't. That's exactly the point. if we were talking in old fashioned genre terms, we could convincingly say that 100gecs are the death of hyperpop.