Good Discussions

luka

my policy is no gimmicks. when that science boy was hanging out at the river he kept coming up with 'ideas' like fortune telling and i had to patiently explain that i have distilled the game down to its essentials, the actual magic of the encounter, which is human contact, connection.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I feel like I often respond with annoyingly optimistic and contrary posts, but it seems that I've had lots of good conversations lately IRL at least. Most likely cos I moved to a place where I didn't know anyone and so I had to talk to loads of people just to not be a friendless shut-in.

So loads of small talk with loads of new people, all different ages etc and like Luka just said smalltalk is a prerequisite for big talk. Perhaps more so than people realise... those superior types who tell you how much they despise small talk are shooting themselves in the foot. Hah! Cunts.

DannyL

Wild Horses
One of the strangest aspects of spending a lot of time alone, imo, is the loss of voice. You end up being reduced to making the odd noise if you hurt yourself or see a bit of skill watching football or something, but, unless you're one of those people who talk to themselves, you more or less spend your days in silence.
This is true in post Covid education. They're now frequently so quiet. The phone has replaced shouting for each other down the corridor.

Interesting thread for me to reflect on given my other profession (and WashYourHands as well which is basically about having guided meaningful conversation within certain parameters. I guess it means I'm not worried about my conversational skills atrophying, though there's less raw life experience to distill into anecdote and gags these days.

IdleRich

IdleRich
one funny thing about recent years is the best conversations have been around music we dont like
Is that strange? People have always enjoyed a really brutal, savage kicking more than a good review haven't they? Be it music, restaurant or celebrity hairdo. It's just an extension of that surely.

luka

Is that strange? People have always enjoyed a really brutal, savage kicking more than a good review haven't they? Be it music, restaurant or celebrity hairdo. It's just an extension of that surely.
well what you are talking about is good fun, but what i mean is actually intelligent conversation centred around the object of scorn. perceptive, sparkling!

luka

This is true in post Covid education. They're now frequently so quiet. The phone has replaced shouting for each other down the corridor.

Interesting thread for me to reflect on given my other profession (and WashYourHands as well which is basically about having guided meaningful conversation within certain parameters. I guess it means I'm not worried about my conversational skills atrophying, though there's less raw life experience to distill into anecdote and gags these days.
except your job, as i remember it, is to refrain from talking!

luka

the same thread from a more fractious time

So is tr broadly agreed that many of the benefits of good conversation are being filled in by technology and algorithm, exploration, finding your way, gossip and news

luka

So is tr broadly agreed that many of the benefits of good conversation are being filled in by technology and algorithm, exploration, finding your way, gossip and news
i always feel uncomfortable when you reach for these off-the-shelf explanations. it makes me want to demur.

luka

this to me, is the epitome of what we don't want