Good Discussions

linebaugh

Im talking real conversations in the flesh. Online its much easier and I suspect thats why were on here.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But in real meatspace conversations, I think emotional nuance is much more naturally enabled. Difficult to convey via text the excitement I feel about amino acids and smart contracts, without using a silly amount of !'s and whatnot, but in meatspace my interlocutor can simply witness my glowing demeanor.

woops

is not like other people
But in real meatspace conversations, I think emotional nuance is much more naturally enabled. Difficult to convey via text the excitement I feel about amino acids and smart contracts, without using a silly amount of !'s and whatnot, but in meatspace my interlocutor can simply witness my glowing demeanor.
don't worry stan we all have a pretty good idea of your glowing demeanour.

linebaugh

You can kind of choose your mood online, scream into the wind and maybe someone picks it up, no consequences if they dont. Youre also likey on a forum with similar intrests and shared knowledge.

In person theres a million different factors, two of the most important being you have little control over who your interlocturs are and and also the general repulsion felt towards any attempt at good discussion like that- youve got to peirce the membrane first.

shakahislop

One of the strangest aspects of spending a lot of time alone, imo, is the loss of voice. You end up being reduced to making the odd noise if you hurt yourself or see a bit of skill watching football or something, but, unless you're one of those people who talk to themselves, you more or less spend your days in silence.
I get this a lot, especially in the corona era. It feels physically nice, something quite visceral, when you start talking again.

linebaugh

I personally think our current mode of bullying eachother until gus makes a thread so offensive that it inspires our most profound insights a good system.

What Im curious about is who has in the flesh good conversations. Who reguarly sits for hours with a partner and does nothing but talk without any touch, movement, side activity involved

woops

is not like other people
What Im curious about is who has in the flesh good conversations. Who reguarly sits for hours with a partner and does nothing but talk without any touch, movement, side activity involved
does reeling from pub to pub drinking pints count as movement or side activity?

The only serious point on my 7 point plan was point 1. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone, you know that I care for you all. I'm going out for some Good Discussion with family now, wish me luck.

woops

is not like other people
The only serious point on my 7 point plan was point 1. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone, you know that I care for you all. I'm going out for some Good Discussion with family now, wish me luck.
good luck and don't react to anything they say

sus

I have a friend who I talk on the phone with once or twice a month, the calls usually go over an hour and are pretty good, but of course the lack of physical proximity dredges up similar problems to those I enumerated above re: chat on Dissensus. That is, you have no access to the other person's life, facial reactions, what they're up to that day; they may not have set aside a buncha time to hang; you may both worry you're being a drain on the other's time; there's nothing but the talk, so it's hard to get relief, or alternate talk with breaks like pouring a drink, looking out the window, stroking the cat, putting on a new record. No central objects or reality to talk about and around, the way you can talk about a record or a drink or what's happening outside the window.

I had some of my best conversations traveling around Europe, with the notable exception of London. That was in large part from meeting new people, or finally meeting up IRL with long-time Internet acquaintances. But those conversations really fueled a lot of new thinking, a lot of new ideas and thoughts, in a way you maybe can't fully get online. Felt invigorating. Felt connected. Made me feel I was cutting myself off from a lot of life, being outside urban hubs like Berlin.

Intoxicants of course help lower boundaries, barriers, loosen grips, relax people.

Keeping good conversation with partners of many years is tough I think, you've covered so much already, you've explored so many of your divergences in thinking, and so many of even the discussions that are worth having have histories, can be sensitive, feel loaded with agendas or interpersonal dynamics, can't be entered neutrally.

luka

I personally think our current mode of bullying eachother until gus makes a thread so offensive that it inspires our most profound insights a good system.

i used to. i considered it my greatest talent, as conversationalist. but nowadays everyones too thick and im much too clever.

linebaugh

and theyre not Stan esque thoughts or obtuse or anything obnoxious usually its just about whatever tune is on and I know they can be the basis for discussion cause sometimes they come from conversations here.