Good Discussions

linebaugh

I bet that was doubly hard for you since you couldnt immediately provide 12 of the best essays on the film and all its funniest stills.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Also emotion has a rhetorical utility that sterile, equanimous discourse lacks: namely the utility of exciting and inspiring the interlocutor. Expressing contagious wonder and excitement can be considered a lubricant for the imparting of insight and knowledge.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I personally think our current mode of bullying eachother until gus makes a thread so offensive that it inspires our most profound insights a good system.

What Im curious about is who has in the flesh good conversations. Who reguarly sits for hours with a partner and does nothing but talk without any touch, movement, side activity involved
i never had a good discussion without any side activity going on, it would feel too forced, too obligated. it's much better when you're walking, or cooking, or painting.

woops

is not like other people
i never had a good discussion without any side activity going on, it would feel too forced, too obligated. it's much better when you're walking, or cooking, or painting.
it's totally impossible to sit down with no distractions or drugs and achieve the goal of having a good discussion. this is why work meetings are so fucked. and one of the reasons why the world of business in general is so shit. endless shit discussions.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I've had some great existential conversations without drink, but for the most part alcohol can make these conversations more electric and enthusiastic.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Actually I prefer not to get drunk, as I no longer enjoy it. Starting to prefer sobriety, but I do love the taste of beer and the atmosphere of social drinking.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Tunes without comment is a paradox. If you’re among fellow listeners bouncing tracks off each other it can work, but I know where you’re coming from. Only reason for starting a thread dedicated to your current ear worm predilections was to encourage language, extrapolate meaning from joy or the ineffable, why these ear worms operate in individual examples/experiences and how its installation gained traction experientially
Some people (no names here) I don't really dig their taste in music, so if they just put a link then it's worthless to me cos I probably won't click on it. But if someone whose taste I don't tend to agree with posts up a link and writes about why they like it - and that could be in terms of the music, or the context that it recalls to them or whatever - then I am very gonna read it, and I might even click the link too. Bearing in mind what was said above about how the best conversations have been about the most hated music and I know that I have personally mentioned a few times that, if the writing is good enough, I can read about sports that I don't like, so, overall, while I do understand the counter-argument based around purity - here is my choon, boom! - I think that overall I'm in favour of someone writing about it too if at all possible.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
By transcend I don't mean escape, but rather see through, as in learning that the rapids are enclosed by a less tumultuous surface, a shore of sorts.