"it was ok i suppose" : a non reaction to "polarazing" things

IdleRich

IdleRich
like i cant ever really truly beleive that people love citizen kane. there's no fucking way. maybe im a philistine when it comes to film but thats what i think
HannahB totally changed my opinion of that film. I can't believe that anyone could still feel positive about it after she had correctly pointed out that the entire camera crew was (most likely) cis-gender.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There's a lot of stuff that inspires no particular reaction out there. I'm thinking of all the times I've played music I absolutely love to friends and they're just sort of shrugged their shoulders (and visa versa). They don't hate it, they don't even dislike it, but they would never bother listening to it again.
Tough one this... you want them to feel the sane as you, but it's pretty much guaranteed that if you reveal that it will prevent it from happening.

IdleRich

IdleRich
see i would be on your side but i saw The Lady from Shanghai on the big screen some years back and in that moment thats when i got it
That's where Welles displays his versatility with that extraordinary Irish accent. Presumably it did influence Enter the Dragon though right?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Exactly, although I'm impressed that Orson's comedy Irish accent didn't ruin the whole thing for you
Oh fuck you beat me to it.
But yeah it's like a reflex, the second I hear that film mentioned i hear his voice in his head and start laughing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think the consensus on a lot of things isn't real and certainly isn't a genuine reflection of the thing itself, particularly nowadays.
I think this is related to my thread about bad benchmarks; CK is a benchmark and will continue to be one simply because it's a benchmark... the quality of the film is incidental at this point. It's like the most photographed barn in America.

IdleRich

IdleRich
This is from the top rated review of 'Predator 2' on Letterboxd
I think that review makes a lot more sense when you remember that the predator thing itself was basically invisible - I'm thinking this guy didn't spot the alien and thus failed to understand the film at all.

IdleRich

IdleRich
when i get grumpy with Gus i sometimes tell him he could spin his bullshit around anything, it doesnt mean anything, it could be a deoderant advert. and like, we were talking about it with pitchfork too, just the sense that the reviews write themselves, they dont relate to the thing being reviewed, all the connections have disappeared and its a game that only refers to itself not the record
I always thought that with k-punk's blog to be honest.

forclosure

HannahB totally changed my opinion of that film. I can't believe that anyone could still feel positive about it after she had correctly pointed out that the entire camera crew was (most likely) cis-gender.
i mean....yeah, unless you mean a "cisgender male" then this explains the point you're trying to make but i feel like singling out Kane as some kind of lone exception of an all male camera crew is silly

forclosure

That's where Welles displays his versatility with that extraordinary Irish accent. Presumably it did influence Enter the Dragon though right?
i really don't know where this links with Enter the Dragon unless you mean the decision to make Bruce Lee speak English in that movie

Welles' accents are great, his adaptation of Mcbeth is a treat just for the fact that you're hearing Americans trying to sound Scottish

forclosure

It's a mediocre thread, how annoyingly unfunny would it be to suggest that means it's succeeded admirably?
i mean i started it out with the specific intention of one specific thing only for certain man in here to take it down their own self indulgent roads rather than just address the question

but hey succeeded admirably/noble failure @IdleRich samething at the end of the day right?

IdleRich

IdleRich
i'm not saying that this is the only reason to engage with anything, its complicated, but there is one really nice thing that happens with human beings when one of them is able to describe or show something in an accurate, precise, accurate way that isn't commonplace, and this description helps other people understand something. its rare but its glorious to see or to experience yourself.
Happens to me a lot, or at least it feels as if it does... I think cos I m often a bit (extremely) slow in terms of grasping really obvious metaphors or hidden meanings in films. That sounds like it would be a bad thing but actually it means that I can often read a really simplistic review and slap my forehead and go "oh yeah that represented his mother" and gain a whole new perspective on the film and enjoy it again in an entirely new way I was too dumb to grasp previously. So it actually works to increase my enjoyment - in yer face smartarses!

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's one of the things that most irritates me about seeing a lot of arguments online. the point seems to be the arguing rather than whatever's being argued. Everyone reads things as disingenuously as possib and pretends they don't get the point in order to pursue the argument and have more ammo.
I thought philosophical argument was supposed to adhere to the principle of charity, according to which you give your opponent's argument the best possible reading so that, if you can refute it you know that you have truly defeated him/her for real, not just in some narrowly defined sense.