"it was ok i suppose" : a non reaction to "polarazing" things

IdleRich

IdleRich
i mean i started it out with the specific intention of one specific thing only for certain man in here to take it down their own self indulgent roads rather than just address the question

but hey succeeded admirably/noble failure @IdleRich samething at the end of the day right?
Probably yeah... but I'm not sure I understood the question right from the start I'm afraid.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sure, yes indeed I have.

And, like I said, I reckon the label is too readily slapped on to things because something that is capable of dividing people is automatically assumed to be something that evokes strong emotions, which is, apparently, in itself a good thing.

From the consumer side, people also often seem to think it's incumbent on them to have strong opinions on things.

So... on the on the one side artworks aspire to being polarising and actually claim it of themselves, while, from the other direction, you have viewers demonstrating how alive and passionate they are by showing the strength of their love or hate for something. Perfect conditions for loads of films being randomly mislabelled as polarising with most viewers nodding along in agreement until someone a bit more level-headed comes along, one of those weird people who actually watches the film properly and forms their own opinion - in this case, you - and says "hang on a minute".

That's my newly minted theory... does it kinda make sense?

IdleRich

IdleRich
The classic example of things aspiring to be polarising is Marmite.

I have a feeling you are not from UK @WebEschatology so I will explain this, apologies if you are and this is obvious, but there is a spread called Marmite which, years ago, decided to base its branding and marketing around the fact that some people - they claim - love it, while others hate it. I remember them introducing this as their tagline aaaaaages ago, like 25 years back, and at the time it seemed a really strange idea - I suppose cos marketing was generally less sophisticated at the time and any message other than "here is our thing, it is better than all other things" was unusual.

Someone seems to think it works for them cos they have stuck with it for decades, to the extent that the product itself has become a shorthand for polarising... people do actually describe things as "marmite" meaning that they split opinion, and presumably Marmite believe that people using their name in random conversations ends up selling more yeast spread.

forclosure

The classic example of things aspiring to be polarising is Marmite.

I have a feeling you are not from UK @WebEschatology so I will explain this, apologies if you are and this is obvious, but there is a spread called Marmite which, years ago, decided to base its branding and marketing around the fact that some people - they claim - love it, while others hate it. I remember them introducing this as their tagline aaaaaages ago, like 25 years back, and at the time it seemed a really strange idea - I suppose cos marketing was generally less sophisticated at the time and any message other than "here is our thing, it is better than all other things" was unusual.

Someone seems to think it works for them cos they have stuck with it for decades, to the extent that the product itself has become a shorthand for polarising... people do actually describe things as "marmite" meaning that they split opinion, and presumably Marmite believe that people using their name in random conversations ends up selling more yeast spread.
i think i understand what you're getting at in terms of marketing and how its embedded itself in peoples brains but at the same time i feel like i'm not, either way this came of condescending

also @IdleRich i don't know if you've just never noticed me the whole time i've been on this forum but i am from the UK wood green,north london to be specific

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Stonehenge

Bit of anti-climax, not that I want it levelled. Coming into the region by road is even worse. It’s flat but with enough undulation to limit you horizon. Hippies, tourists and a ruin - buzzing, where do I sign? Look, there’s another barrow. Worse on solstice. People hugging stones that are a calendar for the dead. Yogurt weaving cardigan victims everywhere

Avebury, Newgrange, Stenness are a trip, but Stonehenge? Pfffft

luka

Exactly. Takes the piss, but the village was there before the stones I think.... I mean, I think they built the village while the stones were underground. Where they are now is a dramatic reconstruction