luka

Webbie likes it best if you have no interest in and no affinity to the music he makes you listen to, most of which he readily admits he doesn't like himself. it's an odd method but it's highly entertaining.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Webbie likes it best if you have no interest in and no affinity to the music he makes you listen to, most of which he readily admits he doesn't like himself. it's an odd method but it's highly entertaining.
Well in that case, this could be a match made in heaven.

luka

Go ahead, but right now I'm heavily biased toward western classical music, trying to understand the notation and whatnot. It has temporarily instilled a musical elitism whereby everything that doesn't rely on western musical notion is pop.
barty, a musical prodigy, will tell you that western classical is almost childlike in its simplicity and if you want to hear something complex in technique and conception the only place to go is jazz

forclosure

It's a recent thing i've started doing in part cause as much as i don't like it i've encountered and heard enough earnest speeches from people who this stuff made a big impression on it that i'm like fuck it might aswell at least TRY to understand and get something out of it.

That and a while back the Martorialist did a list of 12 inches from Rawkus records stuff where he made the point how everybody who talks about them positively and negatively is talking about the wrong stuff they always want to focus on Blackstar,Funcrusher Plus and back on both sides and not on all the 12 inches that came out some of them from guys who only ended up underground cause they couldn't fit anywhere else or in Eminem's case before you got on a major you just wanted to get one last grimey banger off before you jumped ship and never came back

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i thought it might have something to do with empire and the raj or something. i doubt even third knows tbh

No, it's about how the archetypical asian gets accepted as british-asian when they like stereotypically middle class things. Tea and biscuits, wine and nibbles with Judy. Zadie Smith Novels. Crumbly indietronica like Four Tet. The Smiths.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I'm inclined to understand jazz, in meta-narrative terms, as a departure from planned composition. Although, I suspect I'm only talking about certain areas of improvised jazz there, and there may well have been such experiments earlier on.

Re: simplicity of notation, there was some reason behind the established notion being how it was, because of how the monks would record. their hymns and the notation was pragmatically crafted in light of this. I forget the exact reasons, though.

forclosure

barty, a musical prodigy, will tell you that western classical is almost childlike in its simplicity and if you want to hear something complex in technique and conception the only place to go is jazz
i get this but at the same time it comes off like Norman Mailer shit and for alot of people it's what puts them off jazz entirely as if its this inscrutible complex thing only a certain academic can really appreciate or that you have to read some how to guide in order to get it

maybe the oldest example of white people ruining it for other whites lol

luka

sufi has a theory about Indians being used in advertising to represent exactly that kind of cosy domesticity

luka

I'm inclined to understand jazz, in meta-narrative terms, as a departure from planned composition. Although, I suspect I'm only talking about certain areas of improvised jazz there, and there may well have been such experiments earlier on.

Re: simplicity of notation, there was some reason behind the established notion being how it was, because of how the monks would record. their hymns and the notation was pragmatically crafted in light of this. I forget the exact reasons, though.
it's not a point about notation, it's a point about how the music is conceived and structured

luka

i get this but at the same time it comes off like Norman Mailer shit and for alot of people it's what puts them off jazz entirely as if its this inscrutible complex thing only a certain academic can really appreciate or that you have to read some how to guide in order to get it

well for people like us that dont understand 'music' we can safely disregard it and enjoy it on our own terms. but for people that do understand it it is another mode of engagement

forclosure

anyways @Clinamenic once you get past this Western Classical phase i might do this for you so watch this space

only cause i feel like this is just gonna end up with you praising tracks on the basis of whether they have an overwrought string sample or not

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed

I remember reading something Kerouac wrote about Charlie Parker and immediately feeling my interest in Parker wane. That said, I admire Kerouac in his own right, but this is just another firsthand example of what we're talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
anyways @Clinamenic once you get past this Western Classical phase i might do this for you so watch this space

only cause i feel like this is just gonna end up with you praising tracks on the basis of whether they have an overwrought string sample or not
Honestly I'm overstating the classical influence right now, but I do doubt my ability to engage. If you could narrow it down to maybe 2 or 3 picks I'm down.