shakahislop

do you wear tatty old converse all stars and skinny black jeans?
luka this post is especially for you - i have owned two pairs of converse. one of them i bought in a shop in Pakse, Laos. the other i bought in Reading but lost on the beach in bangladesh coz i was looking at the phosperesance and the tide came in and swept them away.

shakahislop

for me it was the green power ranger that did it. it's one of the annoying things about the whole 'black thing', that black is so coded as 'cool' (as well as many other things). probably has some advantages in some situations but its basically a shit phenomenon isn't it, all things considered

luka

for me it was the green power ranger that did it. it's one of the annoying things about the whole 'black thing', that black is so coded as 'cool' (as well as many other things). probably has some advantages in some situations but its basically a shit phenomenon isn't it, all things considered
not sure. what do you mean exactly?

luka

Stan got the brontosaurus he's had a sphincter like old knicker elastic ever since
there's still some black people out there who've admitted that at one point they wished they were white
there's a line in Ras Kass Soul On Ice record about covering himself in baby powder.

forclosure

which that part is especially mad for me cause you think about how many black sitcoms were on tv in the 90s, i mean shit if anything up until i want to say mid 00s you was spoiled in terms of exposure to black culture

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
and what fraternity was this? did you have to take part in any hazing rituals
A chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, but I was in the founding class so no superiors. I actually don't think succeeding classes were hazed, beyond playful hinderances like having a balloon attached to you for some duration of time. But then again, I may have just been blissfully ignorant.

Most of the fraternity members were Italians from Long Island, NY. There was also one asian guy.

forclosure

Stan got the brontosaurus he's had a sphincter like old knicker elastic ever since

there's a line in Ras Kass Soul On Ice record about covering himself in baby powder.
and "Bo Derek is a Ten" i remember although if you ask me she wasn't even a 10 back then

shakahislop

not sure. what do you mean exactly?
its obvious one of those areas where a lot of caveats are needed, but hopefully can take it in good faith on here that i'm not a massive racist and not type out all those caveats.

actually its one strand that Love Is The Message piece gets at, that we were talking about in the Arthur Jafa Industrial Complex thread. I feel it in england and in the US, that there is something in the minds of a lot of people, and in cultural products, that being black / 'blackness' is 'cool'. that's all i'm saying and am sure its not new to you. the green power ranger was really fucking cool (for a power ranger) and he was black, i don't think those things are unrelated. like they weren't going to make it a nerdy black guy were they; it was always going to be a cool black guy. i think his special move was called the 'hip hop kiddoo' or something.

anyway the point i'm trying to make is that this kind of essentialisation is part of the general problem, one part of the intellectual and cultural framework of racism or specifically anti-black racism of varying degrees of subtlety, in these two countries