forclosure

It's a wonderful record, one of the oughts classics. Yeah it's about teenagers, it's all a bit romantic and sentimental etc etc but rock music is a genre for teenagers, so
it was and it should be but like comics it seems to be the reserve of 35 year old manchildren

version

fairly certain arcade fire was for 30-something couples about to put down the deposit on their first home
Didn't one of them used to go nuts with a crash helmet on during gigs though? That's not very 30-something couple.

luka

Didn't one of them used to go nuts with a crash helmet on during gigs though? That's not very 30-something couple.
i have no idea. ive never seen a picture of them, never heard a second of any of their songs. i just know they were put on a pedestal by both The Guardian and I Love Music.

shakahislop

Yes Beiser and I were talking about this recently, hard to tell what's manufactured from what's genuine revival, if it is genuine revival, it says something interesting about the retro period shrinking dramatically. It used to take decades but now aesthetic turnover is so rapid that it can happen in 8 years. Etc etc. Assuming it is a real revival. I haven't been in New York lately so I don't know what people are wearing. @shakahislop is it a genuine revival?
absolutely no idea. i haven't noticed anything like this. haven't been out and about much this winter. i think i'd probably notice the twee thing, because i hate the way that looks, and i haven't seen it anywhere. i'll keep an eye out as the official Dissensus Agent On The Ground and report back

Reactions: sus

forclosure

@luka my 100 list was mostly rock cause its a reflection of what i was into with a mix of things i liked then and now as i said i love jungle but don't remember many of the tunes from being a yout and i didn't want it JUST to be 85% rap with jazz and maybe a bit of house and techno stuff that i've gotten into now

i had to learn how to get into house really cause when funky hit didn't have much of a "context" or a thing to grab onto not to say that i didn't like anything from it but i wasn't inna it like some people at the time were

sus

> Fittingly, it was a record called ‘Funeral’ that killed indie rock as we knew it... indie barely made it out of Britpop in one piece. When it emerged from the 90s, like a shellshocked war vet, it barely knew what it was anymore. An ethos? A sound? None of the era’s major players – Blur, Pulp, Oasis – could provide an answer. Come the millennium, garage rock – The Strokes, The White Stripes and so on – gave it a bump and bought it a second-hand leather jacket. Then a band from Montreal, Canada, released their debut album. They had a singer, in Win Butler, who looked like he’d just walked off the canvas of a haunted gothic painting. His wife, Regine Chassagne, was in the band. His younger brother Will too. Loads of their mates. During recording, an alarming number of the band’s grandparents died – including Win and Will’s grandfather, jazz legend Alvino Rey – hence the album title.

forclosure

i mean whatshisname from of montreal did some shockingly embarassing shit in 09 saying he had a black crossdressing persona and taking his dick out on stage

no idea what it was with certain artisitc musicians and this "i have a black alter ego lark", Joni Mitchell aswell @suspended

• Haha

version

no idea what it was with certain artisitc musicians and this "i have a black alter ego lark", Joni Mitchell aswell
The actual quote is insane,

"When I see black men sitting, I have a tendency to go — like I nod like I'm a brother. I really feel an affinity because I have experienced being a black guy on several occasions."

shakahislop

> Fittingly, it was a record called ‘Funeral’ that killed indie rock as we knew it... indie barely made it out of Britpop in one piece. When it emerged from the 90s, like a shellshocked war vet, it barely knew what it was anymore. An ethos? A sound? None of the era’s major players – Blur, Pulp, Oasis – could provide an answer. Come the millennium, garage rock – The Strokes, The White Stripes and so on – gave it a bump and bought it a second-hand leather jacket. Then a band from Montreal, Canada, released their debut album. They had a singer, in Win Butler, who looked like he’d just walked off the canvas of a haunted gothic painting. His wife, Regine Chassagne, was in the band. His younger brother Will too. Loads of their mates. During recording, an alarming number of the band’s grandparents died – including Win and Will’s grandfather, jazz legend Alvino Rey – hence the album title.
with arcade fire, the music was alright, i did like bits off the first album, but the buzz around it (which was at least partly pitchfork-generated) was i think the thing that was exciting about the arcade fire thing. which i think was genuinely cool. all of that happening at about the same time as a new dawn for the internet, as well as that kind of communal appearance that they had on stage, there were girls there in the band, there were loads of them, they played loads of weird old instruments, there was something (which i hated) going on clothing-wise. all of that was kind of cool even if you don't like the tunes.

its always disappointing though with the indie guys though. coz what did they decide to do with all of that buzz and momentum. they became rich people not doing anything particularly interesting with their lives, playing massive stadium gigs and headlining big festivals. that's alright, no moral judgement from me, but there's nothing interesting at all about all of that. record some new songs, get the booking manager and all the machinery to set up a tour, some lights, a stage show. do a bit of yoga before you go on, make sure you live pretty clean. so in the end that buzz feels a bit hollow because it came to.....well it came to nothing at all didn't it.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The actual quote is insane,

"When I see black men sitting, I have a tendency to go — like I nod like I'm a brother. I really feel an affinity because I have experienced being a black guy on several occasions."
Yeah I think this captures the neurosis I was talking about, a desire to identify in such a way as to be able to leverage certain cultural capital, a particular capital which is notoriously averse to financialization, e.g. the aversion to astroturfing and gentrification.

shakahislop

do you wear tatty old converse all stars and skinny black jeans?
i do have one pair of skinny black jeans, they're pretty uncomfortable, a girl said my bum looks nice in them, but unfortunately after a long trip to pakistan in the heat and oily food, said bum no longer fits into them

• Haha

version

Yeah I think this captures the neurosis I was talking about, a desire to identify in such a way as to be able to leverage certain cultural capital, a particular capital which is notoriously averse to financialization, e.g. the aversion to astroturfing and gentrification.
She believes she's experienced being a black guy because she went to a party in blackface and it made people uncomfortable...