forclosure

A chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, but I was in the founding class so no superiors. I actually don't think succeeding classes were hazed, beyond playful hinderances like having a balloon attached to you for some duration of time. But then again, I may have just been blissfully ignorant.

Most of the fraternity members were Italians from Long Island, NY. There was also one asian guy.
hah now that i know this i can't wait to do a bit on Long Island rap in your rap thread

luka

its obvious one of those areas where a lot of caveats are needed, but hopefully can take it in good faith on here that i'm not a massive racist and not type out all those caveats.

actually its one strand that Love Is The Message piece gets at, that we were talking about in the Arthur Jafa Industrial Complex thread. I feel it in england and in the US, that there is something in the minds of a lot of people, and in cultural products, that being black / 'blackness' is 'cool'. that's all i'm saying and am sure its not new to you. the green power ranger was really fucking cool (for a power ranger) and he was black, i don't think those things are unrelated. like they weren't going to make it a nerdy black guy were they; it was always going to be a cool black guy. i think his special move was called the 'hip hop kiddoo' or something.

anyway the point i'm trying to make is that this kind of essentialisation is part of the general problem, one part of the intellectual and cultural framework of racism or specifically anti-black racism of varying degrees of subtlety, in these two countries
a lot of caveats including lots of stuff about who invented the entire concept of cool in the first place

sus

The caveats are there of course but where I agree with shaka is, I think people have a tendency to want to oppose positive stereotypes on very concrete grounds, e.g. 'stereotypes that Asians are smart put pressure on Asians' and that's unnecessary to demonstrate I think, because the entire way of thinking about races as having psychological characteristics is the problem and it doesn't really matter if it's positively or negatively valenced

shakahislop

i've googled and i'm actually talking about the Black power ranger, which to be honest i feel is a bit on the nose

Quick-witted and clever, Zack relies on a combination of skill, strength, and agility to win his battles. The original Black Ranger is an energetic, charismatic, and fun-loving young man. He enjoys athletics (such as basketball, American football, and scuba diving), dancing (especially to a fresh beat bumping out of his friend's boombox), parties, and girls. Whenever he didn't have an arm around Trini or Kimberly, Zack could be found pursuing his attractive, but hard-to-get classmate, Angela. Zack always loved a good joke. Though he loved all the people close to him, Zack's best friend was clearly Jason. Zack is extremely confident and positive.

luka

The caveats are there of course but where I agree with shaka is, I think people have a tendency to want to oppose positive stereotypes on very concrete grounds, e.g. 'stereotypes that Asians are smart put pressure on Asians' and that's unnecessary to demonstrate I think, because the entire way of thinking about races as having psychological characteristics is the problem and it doesn't really matter if it's positively or negatively valenced
yes, these are very old arguments that are not wrong but need nuance

luka

i've googled and i'm actually talking about the Black power ranger, which to be honest i feel is a bit on the nose

Quick-witted and clever, Zack relies on a combination of skill, strength, and agility to win his battles. The original Black Ranger is an energetic, charismatic, and fun-loving young man. He enjoys athletics (such as basketball, American football, and scuba diving), dancing (especially to a fresh beat bumping out of his friend's boombox), parties, and girls. Whenever he didn't have an arm around Trini or Kimberly, Zack could be found pursuing his attractive, but hard-to-get classmate, Angela. Zack always loved a good joke. Though he loved all the people close to him, Zack's best friend was clearly Jason. Zack is extremely confident and positive.
Saved by the Bell is a good one.

forclosure

its obvious one of those areas where a lot of caveats are needed, but hopefully can take it in good faith on here that i'm not a massive racist and not type out all those caveats.

actually its one strand that Love Is The Message piece gets at, that we were talking about in the Arthur Jafa Industrial Complex thread. I feel it in england and in the US, that there is something in the minds of a lot of people, and in cultural products, that being black / 'blackness' is 'cool'. that's all i'm saying and am sure its not new to you. the green power ranger was really fucking cool (for a power ranger) and he was black, i don't think those things are unrelated. like they weren't going to make it a nerdy black guy were they; it was always going to be a cool black guy. i think his special move was called the 'hip hop kiddoo' or something.

anyway the point i'm trying to make is that this kind of essentialisation is part of the general problem, one part of the intellectual and cultural framework of racism or specifically anti-black racism of varying degrees of subtlety, in these two countries
it makes sense but i feel like there's rappers out there who don't bother with that entirely and if anything double down on being as "white" as possible to get fans, that's the only explanation as to how Post Malone got so big and why Machine Gun Kelly's shameless jump to pop punk was so successful

no idea if you're familiar with noz shaka but recently he brought up this working theory of his that while everything else about rap music changes and evolves very quickly try hard white rappers stay the same not only that but even if they're doing different styles of rap its the same relationship e.g. "at its core sematary's relationship to chief keef is no different than anticons relationship to freestyle fellowship or whatever"

luka

im too old to have ever watched Power Rangers so I'll just assume that's a great compliment.

shakahislop

it makes sense but i feel like there's rappers out there who don't bother with that entirely and if anything double down on being as "white" as possible to get fans, that's the only explanation as to how Post Malone got so big and why Machine Gun Kelly's shameless jump to pop punk was so successful

no idea if you're familiar with noz shaka but recently he brought up this working theory of his that while everything else about rap music changes and evolves very quickly try hard white rappers stay the same not only that but even if they're doing different styles of rap its the same relationship e.g. "at its core sematary's relationship to chief keef is no different than anticons relationship to freestyle fellowship or whatever"
i liked his end of year list a lot this year, but that was the first i've heard of him. i guess i don't see why exactly something like that would always be static, but obviously i'd have to read it

one thing for me about rappers is that i basically never see photos of them or watch videos, so generally i don't know what they look like. i think i got to 2015 without knowing anything about kanye except what's on his albums. its a good way to go.

forclosure

i liked his end of year list a lot this year, but that was the first i've heard of him. i guess i don't see why exactly something like that would always be static, but obviously i'd have to read it

one thing for me about rappers is that i basically never see photos of them or watch videos, so generally i don't know what they look like. i think i got to 2015 without knowing anything about kanye except what's on his albums. its a good way to go.
@shakahislop you'll be happy to know he put a new list out yesterday https://noz.agency/bestrap/2013.html 2013

forclosure

this is helps support my argument that eminem was the end of rap because once white people could rap, like these two can rap, black people didnt want to do it any more, it was embaressing, so they started making squeaking sounds and hiccups instead.
i mean i think Tom Mcdonald isn't the best example cause his whole thing is about trying to get you to critique his raps on a bar by bar basis in terms of their content rather than anything else but in his case his content is whinging about sensitive social justice warriors and cancel culture.

he's no different than politicians now where you can't focus on one controversial thing for too long cause 15 things fall ontop of you soon after