Battle Rap

forclosure

It's funny all that cos i remember getting hold of cool edit and recording a freestyle over shook ones pt 2

and realising that my lyrics couldn't possibly be rapped outloud and on beat
And at point rather than think about how to get better and make adjustments in order to at least sound decent on the beat you just up shop then and there didn't you?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
See @pattycakes_ and this is EXACTLY what I just said about him being more of a symbol than as a rapper you're not responding to him as a person it's more to do with in your eyes what he did to rap and rap culture of could've been any other white boy rapper with a "sick" sense of humour rap isn't lacking in them

Like some spell was cast.

But tbf, there wasn't much competition once Chronic 2001 came out in mainstream rap, at least on my radar. Was the perfect time to take over the whole show. Chronic 2001 was the big move.

woops

is not like other people
Like some spell was cast.

But tbf, there wasn't much competition once Chronic 2001 came out in mainstream rap, at least on my radar. Was the perfect time to take over the whole show. Chronic 2001 was the big move.
last time i tried to listen to this album i couldnt make it all the way through. i do still like a krite and some la n****z tho

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And at point rather than think about how to get better and make adjustments in order to at least sound decent on the beat you just up shop then and there didn't you?
I wouldn't say that, so much as realising that I fundamentally have a terrible voice for rapping and have no business doing it.

Obviously "textceeing" appeals a lot to ppl with shit voices and no confidence to get on stage who are likely hyper-verbal and bookish and nerdy and so don't really think about rapping as music so much as audioliterature.

Perhaps if I was at that impressionable age a decade later when there was more internet rap (and british rap) around I might have figured a way of doing it.

forclosure

I wouldn't say that, so much as realising that I fundamentally have a terrible voice for rapping and have no business doing it.

Obviously "textceeing" appeals a lot to ppl with shit voices and no confidence to get on stage who are likely hyper-verbal and bookish and nerdy and so don't really think about rapping as music so much as audioliterature.

Perhaps if I was at that impressionable age a decade later when there was more internet rap (and british rap) around I might have figured a way of doing it.
Mate there's white rappers now through the combination of beats built on indie rock samples and autotune who embrace their shit voices wholesale

You could do it now if you wanted a lot of the biggest emo rappers are in their mid 30s

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
last time i tried to listen to this album i couldnt make it all the way through. i do still like a krite and some la n****z tho

Considering the size and the impact of it it's surprisingly fkn weak when you listen now. The singles were effective tho, ofc.

I mean what was on your radar then?

As far as stuff coming out then, mostly mainstream stuff that'd be on the radio and clubs at that point, I'd stopped paying current rap much attention by the end of the 90s and moved onto electronic music and other stuff. Was still listening to early/mid 90s rap tho.

Was a difficult time tbh, was just coming of age around then and knew that the best had come and gone before my time and I was doomed to have to listen to 2001 whenever going over to my mate's for a soap bar sesh.

woops

is not like other people
Was a difficult time tbh, was just coming of age around then and knew that the best had come and gone before my time and I was doomed to have to listen to 2001 whenever going over to my mate's for a soap bar sesh.
lol yes this

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
@qwerty south as somebody who clearly is deep into battle rap where do you stand on tracks made by battle rappers?

Because the consensus on them is that they're generally terrible
As you say the likes of Cassidy, Eminem, Professor Green, Roxanne Shante, Meek Mill came up through (street) battle rap (there were also a lot of diss tracks in the early days of hip hop which is arguably the same thing). It's a major stepping stone (as was the grime clash) - however most modern "battle rappers" don't make great music imo.

As I previously posted here's Daylyt holding his own with Denzel Curry (one of the rappers in the media spotlight at the moment):

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

think it's to do with our generation's evolution wrt growing up. I say this word often but the infantilization thing is real. We never grew up the way the previous generations did. They're all settled down and left their childish things behind. Our gen will probably hold on to them til the grave.
battle rap seems like something you should leave behind once you hit 30.

catalog

The new wellbeing activity to replace yoga?

I've always liked the notion of truth sessions where you go to work anc tell ppl what you actually think.