Battle Rap

forclosure

One of you lot should just post one of those unwatchable epic rap battles of history videos and get it over with

That's what all this is dancing around

forclosure

At least when you watch old vids of Reed Dollaz and Eddie Morris battle people they looked like they would pull out a gun in the middle of the battle then and there

forclosure

@qwerty south as somebody who clearly is deep into battle rap where do you stand on tracks made by battle rappers?

Because the consensus on them is that they're generally terrible

forclosure

There's a lot of complaints of feeling awkward and embarrassed in this thread but precious little analysis of why this might be (and whether it's a correct response)
Let's do this yes

And I'll starting saying that this stuff feels so divorced from the roots of what battling came from and how it was in its own way how the rappers worked on their craft in a outsized manner

The ones qwerty has picked out either feel like I have to excuse the awkwardness and terrible punchlines by way of the enthusiasm of them and the crowd (the exaggerated oooh's have been a much parodied element of battle rap) or its all just really technical for its own sake flashy but without any substance

forclosure

Every style seems to lapse into technicality for its own sake once the motivating fuel has been burned through :(
Oh sure at a certain point all the "my bullets leave holes the size of oil drums" talk became that but it especially doesn't help in battle rap when the rappers in questions got honking geese and look like they weigh less than 90 lbs

forclosure

Thinking of some of the rappers who came up via battling Nickelus F, Nocando, Cassidy, Rhymefest hell even Immortal Technique battle raping was a launch pad for other stuff they did they didn't just battle y'know

forclosure

The worst kind of battle rappers who made their own music were the ones who thought all it took for them to be heralded as the next Has was to string some punchlines together and that New York mid 2000s mixtape era was filled with those guys

Grafh, posta boy,Jae Millz,Murda Mook, Papoose all those guys who had alot of hype who didn't amount to anything